Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore iphone backup

I have a iphone 6s backup in itunes. I bought a new iphone XR. My contacts are synced through google now. If I try to restore the old iphone6 backup to my new phone will it overwrite my contacts or just add what's not there now?

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 11:04 AM

If you restore from backup then you will have your iPhone's state exactly as it was prior to when the backup was made. If you setup your contacts with Google AFTER the backup was created then the contacts on Google will be lost. You will need download the Google contacts after you restore. At this point you will have contacts from Google and Contacts from your restored file. Possibly will have many duplicates which you can delete.

Axel F.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2020 11:04 AM in response to mj99

If you restore from backup then you will have your iPhone's state exactly as it was prior to when the backup was made. If you setup your contacts with Google AFTER the backup was created then the contacts on Google will be lost. You will need download the Google contacts after you restore. At this point you will have contacts from Google and Contacts from your restored file. Possibly will have many duplicates which you can delete.

Axel F.

restore iphone backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.