Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2017 and Apple Led Cinema Display

I finally manage to get back from my parents' house an old Apple 20" Led Cinema Display that I used when I was visiting them with the idea of using it as second monitor for my 13" MacBook Pro 2017.

I also bought a -cheap- HDMI to DVI adapter which I connected to a Hyperdrive USB-C Hub (that has an HDMI port) hoping that this "double adapter" set-up would do the trick. Unfortunately the screen remains dark. (The USB ports work though).

First I thought the monitor was gone, then I blamed the adapter but eventually I tried connecting it to a Raspberry HDMI output and the Cinema (thus the adapter) worked perfectly.

Apple sells a not so cheap HDMI to DVI adapter, but then I would have to go again through the Hyperdrive Hub, so I am wondering if I am missing something here. Is it this "double adapter" configuration not really playing nice with the MacBook Pro? Is it a resolution issue? What is the best solution to make it work?

Any help would be appreciate

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 1:42 AM

I should have been digging deeper in to this forum.

Looks like this is the answer:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250235615?answerId=250457025022#250457025022

Similar questions

1 reply

MacBook Pro 2017 and Apple Led Cinema Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.