Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to speed things up

How can I get help cleaning up my mac and increasing its speed

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 12:56 PM

Hi

What type Mac do you have? Also what is its age? I have a friend that had a Macbook Pro that was 15 years old that had issues we took it to an Best Buy and spoke with the Apple Rep. After the he and I got a good laugh at it ( My friend did not find it very funny) he tried to help us he said there was no hope for it. So if your Mac is very old it may just be the age that is causing it to be slow and if you have updated the OS on an older Mac to the new OS it could be that is taking up most of the space. Now I am no computer pro here so do not think I am telling you the answer to your question. Just trying to be another Apple user trying to help another Apple user

Best of luck

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2020 12:56 PM in response to 2020jk

Hi

What type Mac do you have? Also what is its age? I have a friend that had a Macbook Pro that was 15 years old that had issues we took it to an Best Buy and spoke with the Apple Rep. After the he and I got a good laugh at it ( My friend did not find it very funny) he tried to help us he said there was no hope for it. So if your Mac is very old it may just be the age that is causing it to be slow and if you have updated the OS on an older Mac to the new OS it could be that is taking up most of the space. Now I am no computer pro here so do not think I am telling you the answer to your question. Just trying to be another Apple user trying to help another Apple user

Best of luck

Jan 3, 2020 12:40 PM in response to 2020jk

Well lets first diagnose what the issue is that is causing it to be slow. Please do the following:

Please navigate to the Mac App Store and download the free version of EtreCheck OR please click www.EtreCheck.com where you will find the app. Once you downloaded the free app and created the report please post it as your reply to this message. In order to post it, please use the following link for more detailed instructions on how to correctly include the results: 

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

We can then look for obvious issues that may be causing your problem.

Jan 3, 2020 1:06 PM in response to 2020jk

EtreCheck was developed by a very trusted member of these communities and is sometimes recommended by Apple. It is commonly recommended on these forums, in addition EtreCheck does not show ANY confidential information nor does it "clog" up your system. It simply advised what has been installed on the system and helps open the door to see what may be causing the problem.

I'd recommend at least visiting EtreCheck.com and then you can learn more about. If you decide you do not want to use, then I'm afraid there isn't a thing we can do to help you.

How to speed things up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.