Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem syncing iOS 13.3 mail with Microsoft online exchange

Everything was working fine until a week or so ago (perhaps last IOS update). New eMails are added to my inbox on my iPhone just fine, but if I read or delete a message on my laptop / webmail / whatever and update exchange, those updates do not appear on my iPhone - every eMail still shows as new and unread until dealt with locally on the iPhone.

iPhone 8

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 8:54 AM

Good news (sort of). I found it's a false alarm. It turns out mail on IOS is working fine. I figured out that it's the mail app on the Mac that isn't syncing properly with exchange. I compared them both with OWA and narrowed it down to the Mac. I guess I can flag this one as solved and open one for the Mac.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2020 8:54 AM in response to MoonJ.

Good news (sort of). I found it's a false alarm. It turns out mail on IOS is working fine. I figured out that it's the mail app on the Mac that isn't syncing properly with exchange. I compared them both with OWA and narrowed it down to the Mac. I guess I can flag this one as solved and open one for the Mac.

Jan 8, 2020 2:38 PM in response to BHusler

Hi there, BHusler.

It appears that, when you read or delete an email on your Mac, they aren't read or removed from your iPhone using the same email account. I'm glad to help with this.

Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- First, remove the account from your iPhone. Go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts, tap the account and select "Delete Account" at the bottom.

Set up Exchange ActiveSync on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- Then, add your Exchange account again according to the steps in this article.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Jan 10, 2020 4:11 PM in response to BHusler

Thanks for trying those steps and getting back to us, BHusler. It's appreciated. I do have more steps for you to use.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- Before going to the next step, please be sure to have a fresh backup to keep your personal information safe.

Delete built-in Apple apps on your iOS 12, iOS 13, or iPadOS device or Apple Watch -- If restarting your device didn't resolve the issue, delete then restore the Mail application, and see if the issue's resolved.

Get back to us when you're able.

Cheers!

Problem syncing iOS 13.3 mail with Microsoft online exchange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.