Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband Lost on imac

How do I get Garageband back on my imac ?

Some months back I upgraded to Catalina vers 10.15.2 (19C57), somehow I lost garageband. I have tried umpteen times to download it and always the same message from App website - "Unable to install App, try again later" x30 attempts later same message always.

I looked into my Apps account and as I had it before I was able to download the GarageBand 6.0.5 (428.5) version, which does not work with Catalina, but it tries to download Garageband 10.3.4 and always fails.

And all the while on the dock bar, a continuous reminder a little red icon notification on imac Apps saying 'update Garageband' - which it cannot do.

Can anything be done to sort this ? Either to get me garageband (which maybe of use to me just now) or get rid of the constant red reminder icon - the constant reminder that every time I try fails.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

John

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 8:23 AM

Hi JohnSculp, 

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. 

From your post, it looks like you are having an issue downloading the most recent version of GarageBand. Please look under the “Reinstall GarageBand” section of this article for this issue: If GarageBand for Mac won't open or play back your project - Apple Support

If you still get the same error message, I would recommend booting into safe mode and reinstalling that way. Here’s how to Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Here are a few quick notes about safe mode:

- Safe mode often looks and responds a bit different than what you're used to.

- Safe mode does not load everything that normally loads during a regular startup.

- Safe mode is a bit slower while loading and during normal operation as well.

- These differences can be cleared-up by a normal restart.

Reach back out with any questions. 

Best Regards!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2020 8:23 AM in response to JohnSculp

Hi JohnSculp, 

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. 

From your post, it looks like you are having an issue downloading the most recent version of GarageBand. Please look under the “Reinstall GarageBand” section of this article for this issue: If GarageBand for Mac won't open or play back your project - Apple Support

If you still get the same error message, I would recommend booting into safe mode and reinstalling that way. Here’s how to Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Here are a few quick notes about safe mode:

- Safe mode often looks and responds a bit different than what you're used to.

- Safe mode does not load everything that normally loads during a regular startup.

- Safe mode is a bit slower while loading and during normal operation as well.

- These differences can be cleared-up by a normal restart.

Reach back out with any questions. 

Best Regards!

Jan 16, 2020 1:39 AM in response to JohnSculp

Thanks for your help i_rina. The links took me right on path.

I removed old Garageband ver 6, used the terminal commands as well just in case, to clan it up(?).

Then in my apple account, Apps purchases history, I tried to get rid of the Garageband 2015 version, the one asking me to update, by deleting it from my account (this was the one constantly giving me red notification button on my desktop dock to do so but would would never fully upgrade or work).

BUT the update icon did not disappear from my Apps purchases account until I logged out from my apple account.

Then on logging back in I found I was able to download the original 2015 Garageband version fully (instead of update), which then went through the recent upgrade part as well.

So now have fully functioning Garageband, withouth constant upgrade notification - perhaps I might use it now......

Jan 16, 2020 4:06 AM in response to JohnSculp

On more thing - the old iLife '11 GarageBand version 6.0.5 is a very different program from the newer GarageBand 10.

To get GarageBand 10 you need a purchase, not an update or a reinstalling from the Purchased section.

After you deleted GarageBand 6.0.5, did you try to search Garageband 10 on the main page of the AppStore and then to purchase it (for free)?

I hope you just deleted GarageBand 6.0.5 from Applications, but did not fully uninstall it. You may need the old sounds and loops, that came with GarageBand 6.0.5, when you try to open older GarageBand projects. The new GarageBand. version does not have all instruments and loops, that have been installed by the iLife GarageBand versions. There are nearly no software instrument loops, for example, which are much more flexible than the real instrument loops provided by garageBand 10. If you leave the sound and loops installed, you can use them with the GarageBand 10.

Jan 16, 2020 5:43 AM in response to léonie

Hello Leonie, I fear I may off lost what you refer to. I had never really use the 6.0.5 version but I seem to remember you had lots of instruments that you could make sounds with. I cannot recall if I bought version 10 but it was in my apps history so possibly did. I think I originally got rid of all the 32 bit applications when upgrading to catalina.

Garageband Lost on imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.