Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen on shutdown (2011 MacBook Pro)

Hey guys. My MacBook Pro will not shutdown unless I hold the Power button and do it that way. When I select the Shut Down option, it closes all programs, but then a few seconds later after the screen turns black, it just stays there...and then the mouse pointer appears at the top right of the screen. I've already performed an SMC reset and the NVPRAM reset as recommended by Apple Support. Has this issue been fixed yet?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 5:35 PM

Try running Disk Utility First Aid.

Does the problem also occur while in Safe Mode?

See if you can run the Apple Hardware Test.

You may want to run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

4 replies

Jan 12, 2020 5:16 PM in response to sjmak100

Make sure your WD and Paragon software is completely up to date.

Disconnect all external devices to see if you still experience the problem.

The report shows a high system load which is what is probably preventing the proper shutdown of the system. You may need to let the laptop have a much longer time to shutdown normally until you figure out the problem. If it also occurs in Safe Mode, then try creating a new user account to see if the problem still occurs.

Black screen on shutdown (2011 MacBook Pro)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.