Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Another KSNET scam

I had a similar 'attack' last month. While browsing on my computer, a warning window suddenly appeared & my screen was locked. The window showed a the word Apple in large letters and went on to say that my computer had been attacked & the attacker had downloaded malware and viruses without my knowledge. I was given a toll free # to call to get help (866-275-****). The person I spoke with was a male with a Middle Eastern accent. He said that his company (Apple, I assumed) could clean my computer (MacBook Pro), rid it of all the bad files/viruses and provide me continuing coverage fo 5 years or, for a higher cost, lifetime coverage. He transferred me to a 'technician' who would work further with me. I did give them access to my computer, which, I know, was a big mistake. They wanted about $2000 for the 5 year plan. I finally became suspicious that there was something wrong. When I asked this 2nd person if he worked for Apple, he said he worked for KSNET which worked with Apple as a contractor. I wound up giving them a credit card # but intentionally gave the wrong 3-digit CVV #, so of course the charge was denied & we had to call Chase support services to straighten things out. Fortunately, the Chase rep with whom I spoke was very suspicious & he asked to talk to me on a separate line. He was very frank & said this really seemed like a scam, so I hung up on the Ksnet people. They tried to call me back several times from a # 703-865-**** registered in VA. When I tried to call it back later, it went to a fax line. (Also, when I called back the 866 # mentioned above, I got a recorded message: ...see next post.

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 2:29 PM

In the case of these popup messages, the company, and the phone numbers are irrelevant, as the criminals involved in such scams have hundreds, perhaps thousands of names and numbers.

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Another KSNET scam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.