Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 6s Plus locked to US only.

From research I understand this is an old problem. But no one has given a definitive answer yet. Bought an iPhone 6s Plus from a reseller that claimed it was unlocked for international use. It was not. It is locked to a “US GSM and Verizon iPhone 6/6 Plus Service Policy”. It is the initial activation, the last activation and the next activation policy. I used it for 10 days on a prepay T-Mobile sim and after returning to Fiji it will not accept my Fiji Vodafone sim as valid. Also...this phone looks to be an Apple warranty replacement. Many articles I’ve read say this is an Apple problem (they assigned the wrong next activation policy) but good luck getting them to change the activation policy. T-Mobile says it is not locked to their network. I tried an unlocker service and they said the EMEI is not in any database. The Apple support person I talked with had no clue what I was talking about. This is my first iPhone...wanted to try one out before laying out the cash for a newer one. Man...this sucks. Does Apple really lock what should be an international iPhone to the US? Unbelievable.

Workarounds, anyone? - Jan

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 7:20 PM

Apple doesn't lock phones. Carrier's lock phones, especially phones sold under a carrier payment or subsidized plan. Apple also cannot unlock a carrier locked phone. Only the carrier the phone is locked to can unlock your phone. Since you believe this phone is locked to Verizon, you need to contact Verizon and see if if your phone qualifies for an unlock.

See this link --> How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2020 7:20 PM in response to Janus_42

Apple doesn't lock phones. Carrier's lock phones, especially phones sold under a carrier payment or subsidized plan. Apple also cannot unlock a carrier locked phone. Only the carrier the phone is locked to can unlock your phone. Since you believe this phone is locked to Verizon, you need to contact Verizon and see if if your phone qualifies for an unlock.

See this link --> How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support

Jan 14, 2020 9:47 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Apple has placed an activation policy on this phone that only allows it to be activated by a US carrier. That is an international lock. Apple does not need to “unlock” the phone as carriers do. They need to change the activation policy on it. It has only been activated once...for 10 days on prepay T-Mobile. T-Mobile says it is not locked to their network...and the we-can-unlock-anything people say it is not in the T-Mobile or Verizon database. The Next Activation Policy listed on the GSX (attached) is creating an international lock, yes? no?

- Jan

IPhone 6s Plus locked to US only.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.