Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost iPad - new message

I lost my iPad and marked it as lost/stolen. I then received this email a couple of days after doing so can anyone explain to me what this email means?

nothing has changed on my Find My?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 7:41 AM

That message means that Activation Lock is working as intended. According to: Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support...

"Activation Lock helps you keep your device secure, even if it's in the wrong hands, and can improve your chances of recovering it. Even if you erase your device remotely, Activation Lock can continue to deter anyone from reactivating your device without your permission. All you need to do is keep Find My [device] turned on, and remember your Apple ID and password. "

"When you turn on Find My [device] on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch, or Mac computer that has an Apple T2 security chip, your Apple ID is securely stored on Apple’s activation servers and linked to your device. From that point on, your Apple ID password or device passcode is required before anyone can turn off Find My, erase your device, or reactivate and use your device."

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2020 7:41 AM in response to Stizzer

That message means that Activation Lock is working as intended. According to: Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support...

"Activation Lock helps you keep your device secure, even if it's in the wrong hands, and can improve your chances of recovering it. Even if you erase your device remotely, Activation Lock can continue to deter anyone from reactivating your device without your permission. All you need to do is keep Find My [device] turned on, and remember your Apple ID and password. "

"When you turn on Find My [device] on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch, or Mac computer that has an Apple T2 security chip, your Apple ID is securely stored on Apple’s activation servers and linked to your device. From that point on, your Apple ID password or device passcode is required before anyone can turn off Find My, erase your device, or reactivate and use your device."

Jan 15, 2020 10:42 AM in response to Stizzer

Stizzer wrote:
so if found I will receive further notifications?
this email doesn’t mean that someone has tried to log on
  1. Do not expect further notifications. If, when lost, you chose to display a custom message as stated in the previous link..,(When you Mark As Lost, this locks your screen with a passcode and lets you display a custom message with your phone number to help you get it back. You can also remotely erase your device if needed, and your custom message continues to display even after the device is erased.), you might get a telephone call from an unknown source. If that happens do not divulge any information regarding your Apple ID.
  2. The email means that someone attempted to login, but was refused because of the Activation Lock which you initiated by using the lost mode.

Lost iPad - new message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.