Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Albums shown in Finder or on AppleTV not updating when changes made in Photos?

I'm using a current model iMac with latest Catalina updates and a new iPhone 11 Pro, and an Apple TV model A1625 with tvOS 13.3. I've been working on organising my photo collection in Photos, sorting things into albums and so on.

I want to sync some folders to my iPhone. I connect the iPhone to my iMac, open Finder, select the phone, and select Photos. I check the box for "Sync photos to your device from" and choose "Photos" from the drop down list. I choose "Selected albums".

However - the list of albums that Finder offers to sync is different to the list in the Photos app. Albums I've deleted are still listed. Albums I've renamed show with their old names. Albums I've created don't show up.

If I enable "home sharing" to view my Photos library on the AppleTV (via the "computers" app) the list of albums offered appears to be the same list as I see in Finder - not the list of albums in Photos.

Restarting the Photos application or rebooting the iMac makes no difference.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't see what. Any suggestions?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 3:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 9:02 AM

Has your Photos Library been enabled as your System Photo Library? The Media Browser and other applications can only show you the System Photo Library.

You can check this by launching Photos, then open the Photos > Preferences > General. If "Use as System Photo Library" is not grayed out, as it should be, click it to make the currentlyopen Photos Library your System Photo Library, then quit Photos and restart your Mac.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2020 9:02 AM in response to martinreilly

Has your Photos Library been enabled as your System Photo Library? The Media Browser and other applications can only show you the System Photo Library.

You can check this by launching Photos, then open the Photos > Preferences > General. If "Use as System Photo Library" is not grayed out, as it should be, click it to make the currentlyopen Photos Library your System Photo Library, then quit Photos and restart your Mac.

Albums shown in Finder or on AppleTV not updating when changes made in Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.