Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Pro clicking sound.

A few weeks ago the latest firmware update for the AirPods Pro released(2C54). Following this update, my right AirPod developed a clicking sound whenever ANC/Transparency mode was active. Whenever the AirPod is touched slightly by moving my head or touching it, you can hear a clicking/rattling sound. When both modes are off, the sound is not present. This leads me to believe the problem is not a hardware problem as nothing is physically damaged. The mic on the outside of the AirPods has a problem however. Today my left AirPod has also started producing this clicking/rattling sound whenever touched. I just want some answers/help. Thank you.

Posted on Jan 18, 2020 4:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2020 5:57 AM

I’ve been having the EXACT same problem for the past few days now. I’ve been using them since release but nothing like this has happened until around now. I’ve also noticed that when I remove the rubber tip, the rattling noise disappears. I’m just wondering what’s causing this and if this is a software or hardware issue since my country’s in lockdown right now due to the virus and I can’t really have it replaced atm :/

140 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2020 5:57 AM in response to Ethan_Nuuu

I’ve been having the EXACT same problem for the past few days now. I’ve been using them since release but nothing like this has happened until around now. I’ve also noticed that when I remove the rubber tip, the rattling noise disappears. I’m just wondering what’s causing this and if this is a software or hardware issue since my country’s in lockdown right now due to the virus and I can’t really have it replaced atm :/

May 8, 2020 10:39 AM in response to paulamorris

The clicking has nothing to do with the tips. That was my first instinct too. The way to disprove that theory instantly is to turn BOTH ANC and Transparency mode OFF and you will notice that the clicking/static sound is gone -- it's an issue with the way the external microphone picks up external noise or something along those lines. But it is firmware related from everything I have gathered. I have multiple ear tips as well. Also, I swapped out 3 times and EVERY time it was ONLY the RIGHT AirPod that ever had that issue.

That also seems to point to it being something silly.

It also didn't do this when it was running 2B584. Honestly, if I could have just kept my AirPods on 2B584, I'd be much, much, happier with them. No infamous ANC issue (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250887615?answerId=252606723022) and no static clicking issue...

Jan 20, 2020 5:25 PM in response to Ethan_Nuuu

Hello, Ethan_Nuuu!

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are having some issues with your AirPods Pro producing clicking sounds. I love using my AirPods so I understand the need to resolve this issue.

I would like to start by having you unpair and reset your AirPods, then set them up again:

Reset your AirPods

Connect and use your AirPods and AirPods Pro

If you're still experiencing the clicking sound, can you test if it occurs when you turn off Wi-Fi under Settings > Wi-Fi on the paired iPhone? Keep us posted on the results.

Cheers!

Apr 28, 2020 9:24 AM in response to Ethan_Nuuu

Yup this is an issue that is present in both 25C4 and 2B588 (along with the ANC issue which is famous now: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250887615)

I've gone through about 3 different sets of AirPods which all have this problem. Firmware issue.

2D3 isn't publicly released so everyone is stuck on 2B588 (official current firmware) or 2C54 (pulled/removed F/W that you can't downgrade from)...

Have to wait for whatever the next firmware version is which will either be 2D3 or (likely) a higher number 2DXX.

May 5, 2020 11:16 PM in response to Dachs99

There are three main bugs that have NOT been fixed (two with AirPods Pro that just got updated today with NO fixes):

2D15 has WORSENED this bug for me! Clicking is louder when I am taking a call and speaking and my face/mouth are moving.

1) ANC-issue since 2B588 firmware (released Nov. 2019) that remained in 2C54 and new 2D15 (released 5/5/2020): https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250887615?answerId=252591015022

2) Clicking sound on AirPods Pro that has been around for months also not fixed today with 2D15 (got worse for me).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251050158?answerId=252591252022 (our thread)

3) iOS devices running 13.4.1 are having major battery drain issues since updating. There is no known fix as of today. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251265543?answerId=252584580022

May 8, 2020 12:17 PM in response to paulamorris

Firmware and software issues can affect only certain devices at certain times. For example, the current iOS (13.4.1) has a MAJOR battery issue across most of the compatible devices (including my own) -- you can see both the iPhone and iPad forums (and other portal sites) dotted with threads about the bug. But it doesn't affect every single device.

The ANC issue is something that affects all devices as it is not a "bug" as much as it was a "change" in the firmware's coding for the ANC. We thought it was a "bug" but since it's been 6 months and Apple has been radio-silent (and entirely cut off communication with me and most of the largest thread on this forum with 653 replies, 46,130 views, and 2,429 people marking that they have the problem as well: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250887615), I believe it was a purposeful change. For what reasons none of us know. There is no change log for any AirPods firmware which is silly and needs to change.

Also, people who bought their AirPods after early-mid November which came shipped with 2B588 (or updated automatically very quickly) have no baseline to compare the ANC performance to that was in 2B584 or 2B57X (or anything for the demo models in the Apple stores)... Thus there cannot be any "new" cases of this bug as only people who had the previous firmware would even know there is something "different" in the first place. 45,000 views shows me that most people who own APPs and are on this forum are aware of it.

But the last two iOS releases (13.4, 13.4.1) and the last 3 AirPods firmware releases (2B588, 2C54 [pulled], and 2D15) have been bug-ridden. But not all bugs will show up on every single device.

Jul 17, 2020 8:14 AM in response to Ethan_Nuuu

Hello,

We see that some of you are reporting issues with AirPods making unexpected sounds while in use. We know it's important for AirPods to have a smooth listening experience; we'd like to help.

We encourage you to take a look at the steps in the following resource if you experience this behavior: If your AirPods Pro make crackling or static sounds

Best Regards.

Oct 31, 2020 12:23 PM in response to Ethan_Nuuu

A lot of us thought about firmware issue, but as I tried to prove several time there where all the elements to suppose hardware problem, and indeed...

https://support.apple.com/airpods-pro-service-program-sound-issues

Apple recognised finally the issue, it took 4 AirPods to be replaced to me, now with the last third pair the issue seems solved, finger crossed. Hope you can all solve the issue now that Apple officially recognised it.

Aug 7, 2020 8:51 AM in response to Ethan_Nuuu

I have the same problem. My right AirPod started making rattling sounds and gets worse when touched or when I go for a run. AirPods are completely unusable to me since I can't focus on what people are saying and interrupts music badly, especially if bass is stronger.

As I'm writing this on my MBP, I am making typos, since my keys get stuck.

In last 365 days

• brand new iPhone 11Pro just stopped working for me
  • iPhone X, 13 months old stopped working 3 days later
  • I worked at Google where 2 (TWO) of my brand new MBP's stopped working because of the very well known battery issue
  • rattling AirPods for crying out loud

All of these products were replaced except for iPhone X which was outside the warranty.

And now, my AirPods are rattling, reminding me that the time of amazing Apple products is probably gone.

As much as I would like to love them, rattling sound + decreased efficiency in transparent mode which is the main feature, make them a poorly executed product and at what price.

Sep 7, 2020 2:13 AM in response to Ethan_Nuuu

I gave it to apple service center here in oman

first time: they replaced right side airpod pro

2 months later again same issue

second time: i gave it to same repair center in oman avenue mall mi service center muscat, this time they said there is corrosion in the airpod pro case

as a customer im finding difficult to understand now when did i report there was an issue in my airpod charging case, i actually reported issue on the airpods not the charging case

now they want that to be replaced first

job no: 200105084

Feb 24, 2020 8:37 AM in response to Ethan_Nuuu

I had this issue with my left Airpod about 3 weeks ago. Tried every possible troubleshooting method, but was always pretty certain it was an issue with the outward facing mic. It picks up the slightest movements while the airpods are in and amplifies a "crackling" sound. Especially, when the outside of the Airpod comes in contact with any surface.

Finally replaced the left Airpod and now the right side is doing it. I absolutely LOVE these headphones, but this definitely seems like a physical design flaw rather than a firmware issue. Will likely go through the motions to have the right one replaced as well...

AirPods Pro clicking sound.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.