Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transposition: Where?

I've searched around regarding how Logic Pro X handles transposition, and I've learned a bit, but some things are still a little fuzzy.

Please bear with me; I'll do my best to keep this short, but I can't really ask this in a few sentences...

I can think of three places where a transposition could be applied:

• Upon receiving a note from a MIDI input.
  • Upon sending a note to a MIDI output. I gather that's what the transposition in the track inspector does.
  • In the score editor (maybe in the piano roll as well).

These transpositions would most obviously (to me at least) be associated with the particular track.

For example, suppose I have a bass guitar sound, and a piccolo sound, on my 5-octave MIDI keyboard: It's probably not reasonable for the C4 key (in the middle of the keyboard) on those two instruments to play the same pitch. So, the C4 key on the piccolo sound is perhaps more likely to play a C5 or C6, whereas the C4 key on the bass-guitar sound is more likely to play a C2, say.

That being the case, I'd want Logic to be able to apply a transposition upon receiving a C4, based upon which track I'm recording, to put it at the correct absolute pitch as seen within Logic. If I'm recording the bass-guitar track, it would perhaps transpose a received C4 down to a C2.

Conversely, I'd want Logic to be able to reverse/revert that transposition back to a C4 upon sending a note out MIDI.

And then, strictly within Logic, and especially as tied to the score editor/viewer, I'd want to be able to apply a transposition strictly to how it's displayed. For example, if I have an alto-sax part, it would be good to be able to switch off between notated pitch and concert pitch a major 6th below that.

So, my question is whether there are ways to specify transposition upon MIDI input, and display in the score editor/viewer? (I gather that the transposition in the track inspector specifies MIDI-output transposition.)

Thanks for reading!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 7:39 PM

Excellent question.... However, we need to piecewise step through this for a clear understanding.... So lets start with input only..... then we will move to output and then the score - all three are different yet have depencies on each other....

If you want a received note to be transposed after it arrives into the sequence... You want to use the track "region" inspector transpose - however the region inspector has two modes or context states... one for the actual region on the track and one "default" for live input which will set the region transpose for live recording but after the recording stops....

In the main window.... ensure "NO region is selected" - the region inspector at the top will display "Midi Defaults" - if on older version of logic it will say "Midi Thru" ... Here in the inspector you can change the transpose... so for example let's change it to +1.

now when you record enable the midi track and record..... Press a C note - then press stop.... Your C3 note has now been transposed to C3# - However this is a non destructive transpose and the event list will still show the C3 - If you hit control+n - it will change the underlying midi to C3# and your region transpose will be set to 0 - We now have permanently change the transposition just as though the sending instrument sent a C3#.

The other mode or region transpose when a region is highlighted affect the output of the region.

Yes, The track transpose is for output only ( affects the entire track) ( has no effect on midi input)....

Get comfortable with the and use the piano roll ( instead of the score for now) to understand what is happening....make sure in the piano roll you have view->region transpose checked.

So for example you could play a C, record a C#, have the track transpose set to -1 and your C# will sound like a C again.... The region and the track transpose parameters are summed.

Once you are sure you fully understand the above - we will move to the score and how the above affects or doesn't affect transposing staff styles etc....

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2020 7:39 PM in response to mr88cet

Excellent question.... However, we need to piecewise step through this for a clear understanding.... So lets start with input only..... then we will move to output and then the score - all three are different yet have depencies on each other....

If you want a received note to be transposed after it arrives into the sequence... You want to use the track "region" inspector transpose - however the region inspector has two modes or context states... one for the actual region on the track and one "default" for live input which will set the region transpose for live recording but after the recording stops....

In the main window.... ensure "NO region is selected" - the region inspector at the top will display "Midi Defaults" - if on older version of logic it will say "Midi Thru" ... Here in the inspector you can change the transpose... so for example let's change it to +1.

now when you record enable the midi track and record..... Press a C note - then press stop.... Your C3 note has now been transposed to C3# - However this is a non destructive transpose and the event list will still show the C3 - If you hit control+n - it will change the underlying midi to C3# and your region transpose will be set to 0 - We now have permanently change the transposition just as though the sending instrument sent a C3#.

The other mode or region transpose when a region is highlighted affect the output of the region.

Yes, The track transpose is for output only ( affects the entire track) ( has no effect on midi input)....

Get comfortable with the and use the piano roll ( instead of the score for now) to understand what is happening....make sure in the piano roll you have view->region transpose checked.

So for example you could play a C, record a C#, have the track transpose set to -1 and your C# will sound like a C again.... The region and the track transpose parameters are summed.

Once you are sure you fully understand the above - we will move to the score and how the above affects or doesn't affect transposing staff styles etc....

Transposition: Where?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.