Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera reflection on an iPhone 11

Hello everyone,

I've recently bought an iPhone 11 (less than 1 month) and everything was going well, until I took a night photo of the moon, in which I've seen multiple "spots", like having dust inside the camera sensors. I'm seeing this with direct and semi-direct natural/artificial light. There's no dust inside of the sensors so I've taken the phone to the store in which I bought it.

It undergone two factory resets and the reflection was still there after that, so they took the phone from me in order to run a "24-hour test battery".

Today I've gotten my phone back. Technician diagnose: there's no flaw. He "tried" with 6 different phones (same model) and he got the same behavior.

Either I am a very annoying customer or I am the only one which I see this as a fault. The phone was bought in Colombia, so we unfortunately don't have the same customer support as in the US. Having this issue in a phone that costs 1000 USD (yes, that's the cost of the 11, not the Pro, while purchased down here) is simply disappointing, let alone the customer support of a device of such value.

So, I'd want to gather opinions about this. Is this really the expected behavior of the 11's camera? If not, what can I do? :(

Thanks in advance.

Picture 1:

Picture 2:

Picture 3:

Picture 4:

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 2:57 PM

Hola!

Those are reflections/flare and are somewhat normal in photography. However, recent iPhones have been quite bad at managing this. My old iPhones 6 & 7 rarely exhibited this behavior but my current XS does exactly what you just showed. Unfortunately, other than going to a different brand, you have to live with it. There are tricks to minimize the reflections by aiming the phone at slightly different angles.

You can find hundreds of posts with similar complaints:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250031493

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2020 2:57 PM in response to AlejandroM_E

Hola!

Those are reflections/flare and are somewhat normal in photography. However, recent iPhones have been quite bad at managing this. My old iPhones 6 & 7 rarely exhibited this behavior but my current XS does exactly what you just showed. Unfortunately, other than going to a different brand, you have to live with it. There are tricks to minimize the reflections by aiming the phone at slightly different angles.

You can find hundreds of posts with similar complaints:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250031493

Jan 21, 2020 4:03 PM in response to AlejandroM_E

This is ghosting. A known issue with the iPhone 11 series.

By the way, it seems that altjough you spoppted the smaller ones, you have missed the large green spots on pictures 1 & 2.

Check picture 1 at the right side of the second building when you start from the left side of the picture. It is that large that it is un-missable.

Check picture 2 slightly down from the dots you have highlighted, along the wall, you should see a large green dot but it is smaller than the one from picture 1...

Some people claim it is standard. I dont think so.

Search for Severe flare & ghosting.

Camera reflection on an iPhone 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.