Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad keeps losing its WiFi connection

I have an iPad Pro (Model A1652) running iPad OS 13.3 connected to my home 5GHz WiFi network. It loses its WiFi connection after sitting unused for several hours. A number of other iOS products on the same WiFi network don't have this issue (iPhone XR, iPhone 6s, iPad Air).

I have tried several of the typical problem-shooting steps, like forgetting the network and re-connecting, restarting the device, and resetting the network connections, none of which has resolved the issue.

Could this be a hardware problem? Since the issue is intermittent, would taking the device to a Genius Bar for diagnostics be the logical next step?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 8:05 AM

When you say looses the connection after sitting, this would be normal behavior, unless you qualify that with additional information. When the iPads or iPhones are connected to wi-fi, if that connection is not actively being used downloading, uploading data, when the iPhone goes to sleep and the screen locks, wi-fi will disconnect, to conserve battery. However, once you wake the device, wi-fi should automatically reconnect. If the iPad or iPhone is connected to power, it will remain connected to wi-fi. I'm guessing here, but it seems that it may not be reconnecting when you wake it, is that correct?

In your second paragraph you mention many of the standard troubleshooting steps except one. Have you restarted your router? While many will say that since other devices are connecting and working fine, they don't believe it can be a router problem. This is not true. The router does all of the assignments for IP addresses for wireless devices, and can sometimes get stuck on one. Remove power from the router for about 30 seconds. Then plug it back in again and wait for it to reboot and re-establish its connections. After that attempt to reconnect the iPad and see what happens. This information is also included in this support document, If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

If necessary after that, you can make a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple Store for an evaluation.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2020 8:05 AM in response to AustinJerry

When you say looses the connection after sitting, this would be normal behavior, unless you qualify that with additional information. When the iPads or iPhones are connected to wi-fi, if that connection is not actively being used downloading, uploading data, when the iPhone goes to sleep and the screen locks, wi-fi will disconnect, to conserve battery. However, once you wake the device, wi-fi should automatically reconnect. If the iPad or iPhone is connected to power, it will remain connected to wi-fi. I'm guessing here, but it seems that it may not be reconnecting when you wake it, is that correct?

In your second paragraph you mention many of the standard troubleshooting steps except one. Have you restarted your router? While many will say that since other devices are connecting and working fine, they don't believe it can be a router problem. This is not true. The router does all of the assignments for IP addresses for wireless devices, and can sometimes get stuck on one. Remove power from the router for about 30 seconds. Then plug it back in again and wait for it to reboot and re-establish its connections. After that attempt to reconnect the iPad and see what happens. This information is also included in this support document, If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

If necessary after that, you can make a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple Store for an evaluation.

Jan 21, 2020 9:50 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thank you for your response and suggestions. I have not rebooted the router recently and will do that.

Some additional information. I have a network monitoring tool called a Fingbox, which is constantly monitoring which devices join or leave my home network. The Fing app has a setting called "Alert me when this device's state changes", i.e. when the device joins or leaves the network. When I retire for the evening, I typically plug my iPad Pro into its charger for an overnight charge. I received an alert in the middle of the night last night that the iPad had left the network, even though it remained on the charger. When I woke it up this morning, it did not automatically re-join the network--I had to manually open settings and force a network connection.

My iPad air has been sitting on my nightstand unused for the last 24 hours, and is not plugged into a charger. Yet, it remains connected to my network, which seems to be inconsistent with your claim that the device will drop the connection to preserve battery life.

With this additional information, would you not agree that my iPad Pro is exhibiting behavior that is not normal?

iPad keeps losing its WiFi connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.