Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cache Files

I am trying to clean up unwanted clutter and junk in my mac.

I go into finder and I find these cache.mov folders, which are doubles of original quicktime files I have.

Do they take up space?

Is it okay to delete them?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 1:51 PM

Hey there tonifromdeforest,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you want to clean up your Mac from junk and have a question about removing cache.mov folders to trash. I’ll be happy to help.

I’m someone who likes to periodically go through and clean up the files on Mac as well. With the option to optimize storage in macOS High Sierra, it’s very easy to do but I always suggest having a Time Machine or other backup handy before doing this. Here’s a link with more info:

How to back up your Mac

Once you have a backup, I would say first free up storage and delete files from your Mac using the steps in these links:

How to free up storage space on your Mac

Find and delete files in System Information on Mac

You can find more helpful info on this here:

Optimize storage space in System Information on Mac

I hope this helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2020 1:51 PM in response to tonifromdeforest

Hey there tonifromdeforest,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you want to clean up your Mac from junk and have a question about removing cache.mov folders to trash. I’ll be happy to help.

I’m someone who likes to periodically go through and clean up the files on Mac as well. With the option to optimize storage in macOS High Sierra, it’s very easy to do but I always suggest having a Time Machine or other backup handy before doing this. Here’s a link with more info:

How to back up your Mac

Once you have a backup, I would say first free up storage and delete files from your Mac using the steps in these links:

How to free up storage space on your Mac

Find and delete files in System Information on Mac

You can find more helpful info on this here:

Optimize storage space in System Information on Mac

I hope this helps.

Cache Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.