Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating Apple ID Settings

Our devices are continually asking us to "Update Apple ID Settings" and when we press continue, then add our password, nothing happens...the device just says "updating apple ID settings."

The only thing that we can think is that we recently upgraded one of our devices and set it up from home, and wonder if that has anything to do with it. It's only happening to two of our iphones and our macbook, but my son, who is signed into a different account, is not experiencing it. We tried to call support, and when we went to Apple, they just told us to call support. Any suggestions?

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 10:07 PM

All of my devices are asking me to update Apple ID settings - we go into settings - update Apple id settings press continue - enter password and press sign in. Phone or iPad says Updating Apple ID settings for 30 secs and then clicks back onto Update Apple ID settings and the process begins again - have gone through these steps numerous times over the last 2 weeks to no change. I have logged out of iCloud - no change, Reset all my settings - no change. Apple watch is useless as when it times out you need to enter password just to see the time. Please help!!

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2020 10:07 PM in response to DanaDecillis

All of my devices are asking me to update Apple ID settings - we go into settings - update Apple id settings press continue - enter password and press sign in. Phone or iPad says Updating Apple ID settings for 30 secs and then clicks back onto Update Apple ID settings and the process begins again - have gone through these steps numerous times over the last 2 weeks to no change. I have logged out of iCloud - no change, Reset all my settings - no change. Apple watch is useless as when it times out you need to enter password just to see the time. Please help!!

Mar 22, 2020 1:36 PM in response to amol144

According to a post in this discussion, this is a 'new' known issue that Apple is working on. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251180098

Settings - Update Apple ID Settings When It Won’t Go Away. https://techzillo.com/update-apple-id-settings/

Settings - Update Apple ID Settings When It Won’t Go Away (2). https://www.payetteforward.com/update-apple-id-settings-on-iphone-what-it-means-what-to-do/

Apr 28, 2020 2:28 PM in response to Eric Root

I am having this problem on my phone and my MacBook pro but none of the other phones or computers on my account are having trouble logging in. My phone and laptop ask me to login but when I do, it just gets stuck in a loop of death. It appears I'm logged in, but I can't get the notifications to disappear. I've tried all the suggestions about restarting and signing in and out but this has been going on for a week and I still can't get it to work.

Jun 27, 2020 7:34 PM in response to DanaDecillis

I recently had this issue and figured out that it was a problem with 2 part authorization. What I had to do was log into my Apple ID on another device, log out on my phone, and then log in again on my phone. What was happening is that since I was only logged in on my phone it was trying to send the 6 digit authorization code to the phone I was trying to log in to but then it would not ever bring up a screen to put the code into, causing my phone to be stuck into a continuous loop. By logging into another device, it pushed my 6 digit code to that device and then allowed me to enter it into my phone

Updating Apple ID Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.