Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers spreadsheet doesn’t open where I left off

I have a really long spreadsheet (3,000+ rows) that I moved across from Excel but every time I open Numbers, it opens at row 1. Can I set it to open at the last row I used? Scrolling down 3,000 rows every time I use it takes ruddy ages!

Thank you!

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 1:52 AM

Hi GW,

"Curiouser and curiouser", said Alice.

Tested in Numbers 6.1 under macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

I can have a view of Row 3000 and I Save.

Close the document. It reopens with Row 3000 visible.

Quit Numbers and relaunch Numbers. The document reopens with Row 3000 visible.

Restart my machine and relaunch Numbers. The document reopens with Row 3000 visible.

I did not test with a document imported from Excel. This is a document created in Numbers.

What is your version of Numbers and macOS?

Regards,

Ian.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2020 1:52 AM in response to GobshyteWhyte

Hi GW,

"Curiouser and curiouser", said Alice.

Tested in Numbers 6.1 under macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

I can have a view of Row 3000 and I Save.

Close the document. It reopens with Row 3000 visible.

Quit Numbers and relaunch Numbers. The document reopens with Row 3000 visible.

Restart my machine and relaunch Numbers. The document reopens with Row 3000 visible.

I did not test with a document imported from Excel. This is a document created in Numbers.

What is your version of Numbers and macOS?

Regards,

Ian.

Jan 28, 2020 5:10 PM in response to GobshyteWhyte

No way to do that that I'm aware of.

However, you can set the table up to let you quickly get to any row using command-F and a few keystrokes.

Add a column to your table. Enter the formula below in the first non-header cell in the new column:

=qwe&row()

Fill the formula into all cells of that column.

Once that's done, you can get to any row in the table by pressing command-f to open the find dialogue, enter qwe followed by the row number, then clicking Find next.

If you don't need that pin point precision, use this revision to the formula:

=IF(MOD(ROW(),20)=0,"qwe"&ROW()/10,"")

Fill down as before.

This will place the three character text string and the row number (without it final 0) in every twentieth row.

The search key will be restricted to even numbers, one digit shorter than the number of the row that is the desired target.

Regards,

Barry

Jan 29, 2020 3:19 PM in response to stfflspl

Paul writes:

"To use a keyboard shortcut, press all the keys in the shortcut at the same time."

That works if your coordination is perfect, but fails if you don't err in the 'right' direction.

My version: 'To use a keyboard shortcut, press and hold the modifier keys, then tap the action key.'

"action key" is always the last key named in the shortcut.

Regards,

Barry

Numbers spreadsheet doesn’t open where I left off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.