Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set Apple TV as homehub for an account

My family shares one Apple TV in the living room with one account for each family member. My Apple HomeKit home is set on another user then the Apple ID on the Apple TV and therefore not showing up as homehub. But I wonder if you still can use it as homehub if you have a account on the Apple TV that’s the same as my home. But I don’t get it to work. Is this possible?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 3:10 PM

Hello,

Apple TV can only be used as a Home Hub with the Apple ID that is currently signed into iCloud.

A potential workaround would be to sign out of iCloud on your Apple TV then sign in with the Apple ID used for HomeKit. You would then add your HomeKit Apple ID to your family’s Family Share. By doing this all of your family’s Apple IDs will be accessible in the multi-user menu on your Apple TV. Since the Apple TV will be signed into your HomeKit Apple ID, it should then be able to serve as a HomeKit hub.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2020 3:10 PM in response to Alexander-S

Hello,

Apple TV can only be used as a Home Hub with the Apple ID that is currently signed into iCloud.

A potential workaround would be to sign out of iCloud on your Apple TV then sign in with the Apple ID used for HomeKit. You would then add your HomeKit Apple ID to your family’s Family Share. By doing this all of your family’s Apple IDs will be accessible in the multi-user menu on your Apple TV. Since the Apple TV will be signed into your HomeKit Apple ID, it should then be able to serve as a HomeKit hub.

Set Apple TV as homehub for an account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.