Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay and Sync 3 Connection Issues

My IOS is at ver 13.3.1 and Sync 3 in my 2020 Explorer is at ver 3.4 - CarPlay connection is intermittent. It is a crap shoot if it connects. I have tried connecting my iPhone Xs MAX BEFORE starting the car and after starting the car. In either case, CarPlay will intermittently connect. When it does not connect, I have tried disabling/enabling Carplay in the Sync 3 settings, trying Forget This Car in the IOS settings and then re-syncing, doing a hard reset on the iPhone and I cannot get CarPlay to connect. Then the next time I start the car, all is well. What is with the intermittent connection?? AND is there a way to manually force the connection?

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 4:34 PM

Have you considered using a different cable to see if the intermittent issue is cable caused? If you try a different cable and it's still hit or miss, you should reach out to Ford.

10 replies

Feb 27, 2020 11:51 PM in response to Community User

I’m not sure how much more detail you need, I was pretty detailed in my post that started this thread. As follow up, I did take my vehicle to Ford about a week after my original post. They did a factory update on the Sync3 system. It helped, but did not completely solve the issue. It still has the exact same issue as before, it just seems more intermittent now.

Feb 28, 2020 1:29 AM in response to Community User

I actually saw another thread with many people having same issue that i think you were commenting in also. People with many different makes and models were having same issue with apple carplay no longer working. Mine was also after the 13.3.1 update to my iphone. It is on my 2019 f150 sync 3 with apple carplay. I tried multiple cord which isnt the problem because they work perfect in other usb slots and wall outlets to charge the phone i have tried all the possible remedies like changing phone name, master reset, power button and forward button for 5 seconds. And best i can get out of all of it is right when you connect it after doing whatever combination of these said remedies and maybe waiting after engine cycle and or after a day or so of not trying to use the sync usb ports. When i first plug it in it shows the charging icon and will prompt the 2-3 yes or no or accept or decline type options to set up apple carplay but after saying yes to everything it just loses all signal like it isnt even plugged in and in about 99% sure it is directly related to the 13.3.1 update. They need to make it ao we can go back to 13.2 like i was because this is bull.

Feb 28, 2020 7:01 AM in response to Kyle908

Kyle908 wrote:

I actually saw another thread with many people having same issue that i think you were commenting in also. People with many different makes and models were having same issue with apple carplay no longer working. Mine was also after the 13.3.1 update to my iphone. It is on my 2019 f150 sync 3 with apple carplay. I tried multiple cord which isnt the problem because they work perfect in other usb slots and wall outlets to charge the phone i have tried all the possible remedies like changing phone name, master reset, power button and forward button for 5 seconds. And best i can get out of all of it is right when you connect it after doing whatever combination of these said remedies and maybe waiting after engine cycle and or after a day or so of not trying to use the sync usb ports. When i first plug it in it shows the charging icon and will prompt the 2-3 yes or no or accept or decline type options to set up apple carplay but after saying yes to everything it just loses all signal like it isnt even plugged in and in about 99% sure it is directly related to the 13.3.1 update. They need to make it ao we can go back to 13.2 like i was because this is bull.

This is a QNX System. Same underlying OS as a lot of cars but most resembles the earlier Audi models from 2012-2015, except then crammed the Blackberry "Limited" OS on top of it (Yes, blackberry is still a thing thanks to Ford... for now). They killed Android Auto with the last update, fyi. What version are you running exactly?

When you say "Master Reset". Tell me the procedure you're using to reset it.

Do you have anything connected via bluetooth to the phone? The car? Are you connected to SYNC via bluetooth?

Have you reset network settings in the phone? You will lose all of your saved Wi-Fi passwords and any other BT connections you may have setup.

Feb 28, 2020 9:33 PM in response to Community User

So there are 2 of us in this thread reporting the same issue. I have done a hard reset on my iPhone (several times) by pressing the up/down volume buttons and then holding the right side button until it powers off and then powers back on. I have also reset the network settings, however, I’m not sure how this has anything to do with CarPlay/Sync 3 since CarPlay requires the phone to use a cable connection. My phone is linked to the car via Bluetooth, but again, when connected with the cable, Bluetooth is not active. This is an intermittent issue and was present at least 60% of the time. I took my car to Ford about a week after initially opening this ticket. They verified the issue was happening and determined that a factory update was needed on the Sync 3 system. This is an update that can not be field/WiFi updated. After the update, the issue still occurs, but now occurs about 30% of the time. I really need assistance with a fix.

Feb 28, 2020 9:56 PM in response to sheilafromtempe

sheilafromtempe wrote:

So there are 2 of us in this thread reporting the same issue. I have done a hard reset on my iPhone (several times) by pressing the up/down volume buttons and then holding the right side button until it powers off and then powers back on. I have also reset the network settings, however, I’m not sure how this has anything to do with CarPlay/Sync 3 since CarPlay requires the phone to use a cable connection. My phone is linked to the car via Bluetooth, but again, when connected with the cable, Bluetooth is not active. This is an intermittent issue and was present at least 60% of the time. I took my car to Ford about a week after initially opening this ticket. They verified the issue was happening and determined that a factory update was needed on the Sync 3 system. This is an update that can not be field/WiFi updated. After the update, the issue still occurs, but now occurs about 30% of the time. I really need assistance with a fix.

If you don't mind, a few questions:

You took your car in for the update: When you got your car back did you have to put your address book, stored destinations..etc?

Your SYNC version, is it 3.4.20021? (Settings, General, About Sync). Just the top line where it says "SYNC 3, Software Version:" and "BUILD XXXXX_XXXXXX". All the rest is not necessary.

Feb 27, 2020 10:11 PM in response to Kyle908

Kyle908 wrote:

Im having same issue since update and it isnt a cord issue. Please fix this!!

Why don't you provide more information for us so we can help.

CarPlay and Sync 3 Connection Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.