Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes not reading memory correctly, not syncing with devices.

Been having a problem with iTunes and both my iPod (7) and iPhone (7, basically new out of the box). It reads both as being filled with Other memory; for example, iPhone has 9.03GB on it. All of it is classified as Other on iTunes, but on the iPhone itself it's split out normally (and somehow managed to free up another 400MB). With the iPod, iTunes is saying 17.67GB on it while the device itself is saying 18.4, with Other taking up a larger chunk. More on that later.

This has resulted in being unable to successfully sync with either device. It will get as far as porting over my playlists, then just give up on the songs. When trying to sync pictures it says that "The iPhone [name here] could not be synced because the connection to the iPhone was lost," despite being connected the whole time.

I have tried messing with authorizations, swapping cables (three times), swapping USB ports (three so far), tried previous versions of iTunes (straight uninstall, dunno if there's anything fancier than that), even tried pushing everything to a different computer. So far the iPod (through what I've determined to be sheer dumb luck) managed to get all my songs and a small portion of my photos (2,500 of almost 22,000, in no particular order). Still reading all memory as Other on iTunes. Nothing with the iPhone yet.

Everything is on the most current versions: iTunes 12.10.4.2, iPod iOS 12.4.5, iPhone iOS 13.3.1.

EDIT: oh also Windows is saying something different for both devices. iPod's reading 17.8GB, iPhone 9.01GB. More data, but ultimately more confusing.

Windows, 10

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 7:09 PM

3 replies

Feb 1, 2020 12:39 PM in response to WholeLottaRose13

Hello, WholeLottaRose13.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

From what I've read is that you're unable to get your iPhone to sync with music. I'd like to help with this. Generally when you get the error message about the iPhone connection was lost happens when the iPhone goes to sleep mode/lock screen. Also, when it comes to syncing errors, this article has some good steps to take in addition to what you've done so far: If you see an error in Finder or iTunes on your computer Be sure to keep your Windows updated as well.

As far as your storage issues goes, what you're seeing could be expected as it is noted in this article: How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

"If storage on your device differs from what you see in Finder or iTunes

Since Finder and iTunes categorize cached files as Other, reported usage for Music or Videos might differ. To view usage on your device, go to Settings > General > [Device] Storage".

Also in that same article there's a section that explains the "Other" content as well:

"About cached files in "Other"

Finder and iTunes categorize cached music, videos, and photos as Other instead of actual songs, videos, or photos. Cached files are created when you stream or view content like music, videos, and photos. When you stream music or video, that content is stored as cached files on your device so you can quickly access it again.

Your device automatically removes cached files and temporary files when your device needs more space".

Let me know how it does with the syncing, we'll go from there.

Cheers!

iTunes not reading memory correctly, not syncing with devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.