Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Catalina keeps disconnecting bluetooth devices

Hi, I am using MacBook Pro Late 2016 model and Mac OS Catalin 10.15.2.

After the update to Mac OS Catalina, my bluetooth devices - Bose speakers, headphones, mouse keep disconnecting randomly. Even if they are connected, Mac OS is not able to find their audio output and delivers a very low sound.

As per few articles on the Internet, I have tried deleting the  /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist and resetting PRAM but nothing helped. Please provide a reliable and valid solution for this issue.

PS: I have tested my bluetooth devices with other laptops / phone and they work perfectly fine.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 10:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 3:50 PM

I was having the same problem, until I read a solution related to delete the Bluetooth plist entry. Did that, and Bluetooth didn't work anymore. Until last night. I watched a video on Youtube and the solution shown didn't work, but I figured it out by myself.

1. Go to the following page...https://developer.apple.com/download/more/
  2. Search "Additional Tools"
  3. Download version 11.4, and install
  4. Open "Hardware" folder, and execute Bluetooth Explorer. A Bluetooth icon is shown on Apps Bar. Click there to open the App.
  5. Under the "Tools" menu select "Modify Software & Device Configuration
  6. On the "Setup (Auto BTSA)" square, click on "Go". The computer will restart, and Bluetooth will be Active again, and no more disconnecting problems.
120 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2021 3:50 PM in response to jayant_varshney

I was having the same problem, until I read a solution related to delete the Bluetooth plist entry. Did that, and Bluetooth didn't work anymore. Until last night. I watched a video on Youtube and the solution shown didn't work, but I figured it out by myself.

1. Go to the following page...https://developer.apple.com/download/more/
  2. Search "Additional Tools"
  3. Download version 11.4, and install
  4. Open "Hardware" folder, and execute Bluetooth Explorer. A Bluetooth icon is shown on Apps Bar. Click there to open the App.
  5. Under the "Tools" menu select "Modify Software & Device Configuration
  6. On the "Setup (Auto BTSA)" square, click on "Go". The computer will restart, and Bluetooth will be Active again, and no more disconnecting problems.

Feb 3, 2020 6:27 AM in response to jayant_varshney

Hello Jayant,

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities with your question about Bluetooth connectivity on your Mac. I'd be glad to assist.

The first step I would take is updating your Mac, as macOS 10.15.3 is currently the latest version available. As with most updates, I always recommend backing up prior to completing any updates. Once that is done, look over How to update the software on your Mac to finish up that step. Once you're updated, test once more.

If the issue is still present, test in a new user account to see if the issue follows you across users or if it is user specific.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let me know what you find out.

Take care.

Jun 23, 2021 4:23 AM in response to DavideR3da

With Big Sur 11.4, the problem (see my previous posts) persists and when the bluetooth crash

BluetoothHCIReadLocalVersionInformation failed; .....
Bluetooth Support Initialization complete.
Error getting HCI transport info: ....

(log from BT Explorer)

...it's impossible to connect any device!

The solutions to allow me to reconnect the devices are:

• Reboot
  • or, from BT Explorer > Tools > Controller Options > Reset

May 16, 2020 5:07 PM in response to jayant_varshney

Hi, I am using a 27-inch iMac 2014 i7, and using Catalina I have noticed continuous disconnections of the bluetooth. I also tried to install an external usb-bluetooth module. No way. It disconnects randomly after a few seconds. I think I'll be back I'll take Catalina away. Not only that, I had to give up so many applications that are incompatible. I think I'll take a step back. Catalina is absolutely a disaster for me.

May 18, 2020 5:43 PM in response to Cantibus

I agree completely. I have a brand new macbook air with Catalina. The use of a bluetooth mouse is a disaster. It works, then it stops. I tried a fix I found online by deleting files in the system preferences files, and it worked flawlessly for a few hours and then failed again. WFT is wrong with Apple that they put out a new operating system with such a basic problem? I had resisted updating to Catalina on my old air, but it recently died forcing me to update to a new computer.

Please fix this in an immediate update to Catalina!!!!

May 24, 2020 8:26 PM in response to jayant_varshney

I have a brand new 2019 Macbook Pro and my Apple magic mouse disconnects and reconnects on and off multiple times per hour, every hour, throughout the day, every day. I have to magic mice and get the same results with both. When I use them on my 2011 macbook air they work like a charm without any issues. I am thinking of buying a new magic mouse 2 in the hopes that the newer tech will give me a stable connection but I have doubts. I am now currently using a Microsoft bluetooth mouse an have not had a single loss of bluetooth connection with that but I miss the touch scroll of the apple mouse. Are you all having the disconnect issue with the MM2 as well or is it only with the orig version of mouse?

May 25, 2020 10:07 AM in response to Giandonato13

You are lucky that any Bluetooth mouse works on Catalina! I wouldn't buy anything else that is Bluetooth, since you have no idea whether it will work reliably without dropping out, or not. Only my Beats Solo work reliably with my new macbook air. Absolutely nothing else, Apple or not, works on my Bluetooth with out dropping out all the time. It's the new Catalina operating system! Apple needs to fix this Catalina problem immediately!

May 26, 2020 8:49 AM in response to jayant_varshney

On 10.15.4, Macbook Pro 2017. Same issue with bluetooth sound devices. Tried with Bose wireless, and some speakers. Connected them to an older machine, work fine. Connected to this machine and the sound is unstable. When it does connect, the sound is way louder in the left side of the headphones than the right side. Also, when I use the same Bose and plug in the headphones to the headphone jack (instead of bluetooth), everything works fine and sounds fine. I can also connect those same Bose just fine to my iPhone via bluetooth and sound is perfect. It is maddening.

Mac OS Catalina keeps disconnecting bluetooth devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.