Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Troubleshooting with Safari

I'm locked out of setting my homepage for safari. There is a browser I did not select in it's place and it will not let me choose the one I prefer. I have run malwarebytes multiple times, it says everything is clean, and I saw no new extensions in Safari, but I am still locked out. I also looked in my recent download files to see if there was anything but no new installation products showed up. Has anyone had this issue and been able to overcome it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

MACBOOK PRO’s MacBook Pro 13"

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 9:49 AM

If Safari's home page is stuck

In some cases, after being changed by adware or malware, Safari's home page can become stuck. You will be able to edit the Homepage field in Safari's preferences, but the change will not stick. This appears to be a bug, and there is an odd workaround. Try this:

1. In Safari, choose Preferences from the Safari menu.
  2. In the window that opens, click the General icon (if necessary)
  3. Enter your desired home page in the "Homepage" field, but DO NOT press return!

4 At the top of the window, click any of the other icons (eg, Tabs, AutoFill, etc).

5 You may see a prompt asking for confirmation for changing the home page. If so, confirm.

6 Switch back to the General page and check to make sure the home page has been changed.

Credit:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/236261-how-to-remove-weknow-malware-and-others/

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2020 9:49 AM in response to Thimset

If Safari's home page is stuck

In some cases, after being changed by adware or malware, Safari's home page can become stuck. You will be able to edit the Homepage field in Safari's preferences, but the change will not stick. This appears to be a bug, and there is an odd workaround. Try this:

1. In Safari, choose Preferences from the Safari menu.
  2. In the window that opens, click the General icon (if necessary)
  3. Enter your desired home page in the "Homepage" field, but DO NOT press return!

4 At the top of the window, click any of the other icons (eg, Tabs, AutoFill, etc).

5 You may see a prompt asking for confirmation for changing the home page. If so, confirm.

6 Switch back to the General page and check to make sure the home page has been changed.

Credit:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/236261-how-to-remove-weknow-malware-and-others/

Troubleshooting with Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.