Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro video camera does not work

Hi

HELP!

I have macbook pro, 15", 2017, running Catalina 10.15.3.

Camera has not worked for about a 6 weeks, and I was hoping 15.3 would solve the issue.

not.

I have done the following:

.ran a virus check

.ran a h/w diagnostic

.reset SMC and VRAM

.checked for competing applications

> Ran lsof | grep| Camera and saw nothing

>Photobooth does say another app is using the Camera ??

>Facebook says video is not available

> did killall VDCAssistant to no avail

What else can I do?

Suggestions are welcome

Seymour

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 7:21 PM

Hi, syhersh.

I'm glad you decided to reach out on Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you’re not able to get your camera to work on your MacBook Pro, and it sounds like you’ve done extensive troubleshooting. 

I would create a new user and log in there. Open FaceTime or PhotoBooth and see if you can use the camera. This ensures you don’t have any competing applications already accessing your camera. If you’re not able to access the camera in a new user, you may need to contact Apple Support.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If you can access your camera in a new user, chances are you have software installed that is using your camera in your main user account. I would Force Quit one application at a time and test until you find the application that is using the camera.

FaceTime Camera: "Your camera is in use by another application" message

Best Regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2020 7:21 PM in response to syhersh

Hi, syhersh.

I'm glad you decided to reach out on Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you’re not able to get your camera to work on your MacBook Pro, and it sounds like you’ve done extensive troubleshooting. 

I would create a new user and log in there. Open FaceTime or PhotoBooth and see if you can use the camera. This ensures you don’t have any competing applications already accessing your camera. If you’re not able to access the camera in a new user, you may need to contact Apple Support.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If you can access your camera in a new user, chances are you have software installed that is using your camera in your main user account. I would Force Quit one application at a time and test until you find the application that is using the camera.

FaceTime Camera: "Your camera is in use by another application" message

Best Regards.

macbook pro video camera does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.