Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security Update 2020-001

When trying to install this update for High Sierra 10.13.6 (Mac Pro 5,1) the computer attempts to shutdown, the screen goes black indefinitely, but it never actually shuts down or updates. A hard reboot gets the machine back on and running. However, any attempts at completing the update or even trying to do a standard shutdown/restart result in same problem. The computer simply not longer shuts down properly.

Standard troubleshooting tools like Reset Pram do nothing.

I was able to resolve the issue and restore the computer to proper working order by eliminating the current 2020-001 update process via the following terminal command.

sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist
sudo rm -f /private/var/db/.AppleUpgrade
sudo rm -f /private/var/db/.SoftwareUpdateAtLogout
sudo reboot

This fix was authored by nohillside.

Apple please let me know when this security update won't break my computer, much thanks !!!

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 11:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 10:30 AM

I strongly suggest that you NEVER use the App Store to install a security update. I've seen far too many issues over too many security updates with too many users where problems occurred with using the App Store to do the install vs. downloading the DMG file from Apple. Use the Apple website: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2032?locale=en_CA to access the download.

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 10:30 AM in response to PossumGouge

I strongly suggest that you NEVER use the App Store to install a security update. I've seen far too many issues over too many security updates with too many users where problems occurred with using the App Store to do the install vs. downloading the DMG file from Apple. Use the Apple website: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2032?locale=en_CA to access the download.

Feb 23, 2020 5:16 AM in response to PossumGouge

I was finally able to successfully install the Security Update 2020-001 for High Sierra on my Macbook Pro Retina 13" 2015.

Please excuse me for my brevity as English is not my native language.

Below is the chronology:

1. I experienced the problem as described by PossumGouge, and applied the fix authored by nonhillside.
  2. I checked my Activity Monitor and noticed that the mds_stores and mdsworker (Spotlight indexing process) had been running for 12 hours after the fix applied, using 80% CPU and resulting of 8GB of bytes written - which is not normal. The Spotlight's search was also no longer working.
  3. After forcing Spotlight to reindex, still no files or directories could be found.
  4. I opened Disk Utility and ran First Aid check on my volume. The check was not completed and a bad snapshot metadata tree was reported saying:
** Checking the snapshots.
error: fext_val : object (oid 0x14): Bad phys_block_num+len for physical file extent record, phys_block_num 2508084 len 8192
Snapshot is invalid.
** The volume /dev/disk1s1 could not be verified completely.

5. To repair this, I restarted my system normally and in a terminal prompt, I listed the snapshots created :

$ tmutil listlocalsnapshots /
com.apple.TimeMachine.2018-03-20-112749 (dataless)
com.apple.TimeMachine.2018-03-21-174756
com.apple.TimeMachine.2018-03-22-074442

6. I then deleted the dataless snapshot:

$ tmutil deletelocalsnapshots 2018-03-20-112749
Deleted local snapshot '2018-03-20-112749'

7. I ran First Aid check again using Disk Utility and the disk verification was able to be completed with no issues found.

8. I checked spotlight again and the mds_stores process (Spotlight indexing) was still running wildly.

9. I opened the Console app, and found many error messages related to LaunchServices, such as this:

errore  16:19:03.743247 +0100   mds LaunchServices: Database mapping failed with result -10813, retries = 7

10. I then followed the advice from FreeNickname at Apple StackExchange under a thread titled "Spotlight re-indexing takes too long or doesn't work" to resets the Launch Services Database, resets the Dock, and triggers Spotlight reindexing, by running:

sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network

killall Dock

sudo mdutil -E / 

10. I left my Mac for about 1 hour, and then noticed that the Spotlight was working normally, files and directories can be found and mds_process was no longer the highest CPU user, and the bytes written was far lower.

11. Finally - after Disk First Aid was completed and Spotlight re-indexing is normal (files and directories) - I went to App store to re-download the High Sierra Security Update 2020-001 again.

12. The installation was successful, however, after several blank screen and auto-restarts that caused several nerve breaking.

I am not anywhere near an Apple developer, however, the update may require that there is no dataless Time Machine snapshot, and reset/fix of Launch Service Database.

As per the time of writing, my Mac is working normally.

Feb 6, 2020 10:08 AM in response to BDAqua

Yes the problem still occurs in safe mode, all apps shut off, everything disconnected. I even redownloaded the update to see if there was something corrupt, same result. I also reinstalled OSX, which of course doesn't have the new update included, ran first aid, all the usual stuff. Only killing the update process fixes the shut down problem. Apparently other High Sierra updates have had this effect for other people (google search "black screen update restart"), its how i found the fix from nohillside. However this is the first time i have ever had this kind of update problem.

Feb 9, 2020 8:10 AM in response to Scubaman82

I've seen one issue with these updates being the failure of the OS to identify the Mac HD as the start-up disc, so the install hangs. In that regard, go to System Preferences>Startup Disc. Unlock the panel lock, (note if the icon is greyed out or not), click on the HD icon and if it was greyed out, it won't be now. You want to see the following words appear below the icon: "You have selected macOS, 10.13.6 on the disk "Macintonsh HD". The icon will be greyed out if you haven't explicitly designated it as the start-up disc.

Feb 10, 2020 8:19 AM in response to PossumGouge

I'm having the same issue. I was able to use the command lines above to restart my computer in normal mode. Otherwise I had to use in safe mode only. I've tried updating first from App Store, and second from direct download.

I am using a MacBook Pro.

I was able to update an iMac from App Store with no (apparent) issue.

Should I just not install this update so that I can continue with my work day? The entire morning has been zapped of any type of productivity.

Feb 13, 2020 8:18 AM in response to fiasko5k

When trying to install this update for High Sierra 10.13.6 (Mac Pro 5,1) the computer attempts to shutdown, the screen goes black indefinitely, but it never actually shuts down or updates. A hard reboot gets the machine back on and running. However, any attempts at completing the update or even trying to do a standard shutdown/restart result in same problem. The computer simply not longer shuts down properly.

Standard troubleshooting tools like Reset Pram do nothing.

I was able to resolve the issue and restore the computer to proper working order by eliminating the current 2020-001 update process via the following terminal command.

sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist

sudo rm -f /private/var/db/.AppleUpgrade

sudo rm -f /private/var/db/.SoftwareUpdateAtLogout

sudo reboot

This fix was authored by nohillside.

Feb 13, 2020 9:17 AM in response to CS-Oldendorf-DE

I always wait a few weeks to see what issues, if any, occur with a security update and pass on it if I think there's a valid risk of crashing the Mac. Not much point in having a secure Mac if it doesn't boot! However, I would also recommend the use of good protective software. I use Sophos Home premium (about $60/year, not the free version.) It seems very comprehensive to me, including ransom ware protection. You might want to check it out or some alternative.

Feb 13, 2020 12:12 PM in response to PossumGouge

Security Update 2020-001 : DON'T INSTALL IT !!!!!!!!

The first time I installed it, it messed up everything. I had to re-install everything. I then tried to install it again. My IMac went into restart mode and would not stop. I erased the disk and the recovery system would not allow to recover from Time machine, or from High Sierra. I had to take the IMac to a shop.

Ever since Steve Jobs left Apple has gone downhill, and is in a death spiral. Jobs would have never allowed the release of a program until it was properly field tested. Apple is now made in China. Chinese electrical components are cheap junk. Apple computers now have the same glitches as PCs do but cost 3 times as much.

DON'T download this update.

Feb 13, 2020 1:07 PM in response to coachrkr

I've seen too many issues with Time Machine backups failing. I would suggest using a bootable backup configured with Super Duper, for example. But your counsel to pass on this update is probably a good idea. There was a time when I wouldn't hesitate to install a security update. Those days are long over and considering the importance of Mac security, I'm astonished that Apple has released security patches that can be so flawed on install that users give up and pass on trying to install it. Just ridiculous.

Feb 13, 2020 1:32 PM in response to VBsunset

Agreed. I've used Apple since 1990. You bought an Apple at 3 times the cost because it didn't freeze up, superior graphics, no viruses, and higher quality. None of those reasons for buying a MAC exist today. Apple's customer support people are great. They are very helpful, and professional. That being said Apple's management team is a disaster, along with their software development department which I consider incompetent. All their new programs have glitches and are not tested properly before the program is released. Apple now looks at their customers as guinea pigs to test their programs that are newly released. Since Steve Jobs let go of the reigns at Apple I no longer trust Apple's programs. I always wait at least 6 months for all the bugs to be corrected before I download a new OS. MACS are now a grossly overpriced China product and no longer worth the money for the poor quality they now produce. When this IMac dies I'm going to a PC format computer.

Feb 26, 2020 2:11 AM in response to kurt83709

On reflection and possibly not relevant, after experiencing the problems with the security fix, and resolving it, in the manner as described by PossumGouge, I noticed that Finder and Outlook were not indexing correctly. After trying multiple attempts to re-initialise Spotlight following the myriad of suggestions out there on the Web, I could not resolve this. I ran First Aid to check HD1 - no problems there. So, I was left with an uninstalled security fix in the App Store and a next to useless filing system! Finally, I decided to re-install the OS (High Sierra) from a bootable disk; no good!. By now I was pretty fed up so, with nothing to lose, I decided to wipe HD1 and start from scratch with an internet restore. Interestingly, everything now works fine, the security fix loaded without a problem, the system is more responsive and, what is more, I have not yet encountered the dreaded "Bluetooth Not Available" problem (which had recently forced me to buy a wired mouse)!

Security Update 2020-001

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.