Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop “Your network provider may charge for sms used to activate iCloud” message

Hi

I have an iPhone 11pro used on Lowi’s network in Spain. Since purchasing I’ve been bothered by this “Your network provider may charge for sms used to activate iCloud” warning. See photo. It happens daily, at different times, not associated with an App, or turning on/off wifi.

I’ve tried turning off/on iCloud, turning off messages in iCloud, turning off iMessage.

It isn’t fatal but it’s annoying. Any advice to keep it from appearing?

Side note: if I have iMessage on, I get a similar warning for iMessage. If I have FaceTime on, I get a similar message for FaceTime. In fact there’s a cycle: if iMessage, FaceTime and iCloud are turned on, I get the iMessage warning until I turn it off, then the FaceTime message comes, and once FaceTime is off I get the iCloud warning. If I shut off my iCloud acct I may as well get a Huawei phone.

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 11:07 AM

It's warning you because you're using an unsupported carrier and you may be charged. This is undoubtedly a reaction to the hordes of people who complained about getting charged when using an unsupported carrier without being notified.

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 6, 2020 10:53 AM in response to KiltedTim

Thank you, KT. That's good advice. I've actually been living without iMessage or FaceTime turned on, which is fine. I won't shut off iCloud as I'd give up syncing across devices, keychain features, etc. and would rather put up with the warning message. Ditto for changing carriers; I love Lowi. I had been wondering/fearing that it's a carrier-specific issue. I love my carrier so if I must endure the warnings, I'll do it.

But I should clarify: I wouldn't even mind paying for the SMS. It's just that my phone keeps warning me. Even after say, "OK" or "Cancel," the next day I get another warning. And no, I've never gotten the SMS.

Feb 13, 2020 11:26 PM in response to KiltedTim

Yes KT, after looking into it I'd say you are correct. It seems Lowi would charge for the auto-SMS, and Apple has that default warning pop up. Since the Lowi system and the Apple system don't talk, it ends up being a loop regardless of choosing "cancel" or "ok." I also tried turning SMS off, and on, in my Lowi settings and it didn't help. So, it's either live with it or change to a supported carrier. Thank you for steering me in the right direction!

Stop “Your network provider may charge for sms used to activate iCloud” message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.