Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac book air 2019 heat

I feel abnormal heat on top near keyboard from f2 key to f9. I didint install any software , I use it on the table. I have visited apple store my problem is not rectified. I have used previous model Mac book air 2012 were I never faced this kind of heat while using. I think I have got defect one

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 11, 2020 11:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 5:05 AM

The newer MacBook Air's 2018-2019 are using a Y series Intel CPU which by design at 5 watts only requires a passive cooling solution. The smaller 12 inch MacBook used a similar CPU. The MacBook Air does have a fan but its considered a circulation fan and does not directly cool the CPU. If you are doing intensive tasks that requires a lot of CPU cycles it can get pretty warm. I suggest checking the Activity Monitor app to see if this is the case. The location you specified between F2 and F9 is directly above the CPU and heat sink. So under load of CPU that area will get particularly warm and some might say hot. I have to also say that I myself am not completely satisfied with how this cooling solution works. But there are other PC makers that use a very low powered CPU 5 to 7 watt Y series Intel CPU's that also use a similar cooling solution. In most situations I use my 2019 MacBook Air I do not notice any unusual heat concerns. The fan does run at times and I have monitored temperatures and they remain under maximum temps for the CPU.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2020 5:05 AM in response to barathzx

The newer MacBook Air's 2018-2019 are using a Y series Intel CPU which by design at 5 watts only requires a passive cooling solution. The smaller 12 inch MacBook used a similar CPU. The MacBook Air does have a fan but its considered a circulation fan and does not directly cool the CPU. If you are doing intensive tasks that requires a lot of CPU cycles it can get pretty warm. I suggest checking the Activity Monitor app to see if this is the case. The location you specified between F2 and F9 is directly above the CPU and heat sink. So under load of CPU that area will get particularly warm and some might say hot. I have to also say that I myself am not completely satisfied with how this cooling solution works. But there are other PC makers that use a very low powered CPU 5 to 7 watt Y series Intel CPU's that also use a similar cooling solution. In most situations I use my 2019 MacBook Air I do not notice any unusual heat concerns. The fan does run at times and I have monitored temperatures and they remain under maximum temps for the CPU.

Mac book air 2019 heat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.