Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vertical line at center of Mac monitor with Mac mini

I have a newer Mac mini. It has operated well with no problems. On one of the last updates, macOS Mojave, a vertical line appeared down the center of the screen. Bothersome, but it didn't affect operation. It has similar color banding to whatever the desktop picture that is showing. With the last two upgrades [10.14.4 and 10.14.5 ] the line disappeared. I just did a security and Safari upgrade 10.14.6 - and the vertical line is back! It seems this can't be a monitor issue since it directly corresponds to software system changes. I tried restarting with PRAM reset as others suggested, but no change. Any ideas??

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 9:43 PM

Hello, Dlawn.

Sorry to hear you're having this issue with your Mac mini. I hope we can help.

Regardless of your hunch regarding the correlation to system changes, it may in fact be a monitor issue.

But first things first. Have you tried changing the cable that connects your mini to the monitor. It is possible that is the culprit and the first step in troubleshooting. If the problem persists with another cable then we move on.

Next, if you can, please connect your Mac mini to another monitor to see if the issue appears there also or is limited to the monitor you are currently using.

If the problem persists with another monitor, it may again be that the monitor cable you are using (if same) is compromised or perhaps you are in fact experiencing a software issue or more likely a hardware issue (maybe connector port or GPU) in the mini.

If the problem does not appear on another monitor it may indicate an issue with your current monitor.

Im sorry if this sounds like it's going in circles, it is a process of elimination.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2020 9:43 PM in response to Dlawn

Hello, Dlawn.

Sorry to hear you're having this issue with your Mac mini. I hope we can help.

Regardless of your hunch regarding the correlation to system changes, it may in fact be a monitor issue.

But first things first. Have you tried changing the cable that connects your mini to the monitor. It is possible that is the culprit and the first step in troubleshooting. If the problem persists with another cable then we move on.

Next, if you can, please connect your Mac mini to another monitor to see if the issue appears there also or is limited to the monitor you are currently using.

If the problem persists with another monitor, it may again be that the monitor cable you are using (if same) is compromised or perhaps you are in fact experiencing a software issue or more likely a hardware issue (maybe connector port or GPU) in the mini.

If the problem does not appear on another monitor it may indicate an issue with your current monitor.

Im sorry if this sounds like it's going in circles, it is a process of elimination.

Feb 15, 2020 11:16 PM in response to Dlawn

D.I. Johnson, Well starting to follow your suggestions solved it. It seems to have been a tangled cord that may have put pressure on the monitor-to-macmini connection. Just from fooling with the wiring, the line blinked off. Odd it would happen when updating the system while not moving the computer, but I guess there really are mysteries still to be solved in this universe!

Vertical line at center of Mac monitor with Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.