Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX not importing media or import is black

I have 10.4.8 version of Final Cut Pro X. My computer is on Catalina (10.15.3). FCP is simply not importing media. This is the same SD card that I usually use, the camera that was used is the same, so no variables have changed on that end.

Before it began to go haywire, the other day FCP reported that I was running out of hard drive space, so I deleted a bunch of old projects. After that, my imported clips were completely black. They import into iMovie fine and play in Quicktime without issue. But they're black in FCP.

Then today, FCP refused to open until I had rebooted my computer multiple times. Now it won't let me import any footage. Clicking on "Import Selected" does nothing.

Posted on Feb 13, 2020 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2020 11:28 AM

Start by deleting preferences: hold down command and option keys while starting FCP X and click "Delete Preferences".

FCP X will start in a default state, with an "Untitled" library. Reopen the library yoy were working on and see how it goes.

You seem to need to clear up some space. Get yourself an external drive for your media.

Better still, get an external SSD and a large external HD for backup and archive.

All drives need some free space to perform adequately; especially the system drive.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2020 11:28 AM in response to CheckingIN2

Start by deleting preferences: hold down command and option keys while starting FCP X and click "Delete Preferences".

FCP X will start in a default state, with an "Untitled" library. Reopen the library yoy were working on and see how it goes.

You seem to need to clear up some space. Get yourself an external drive for your media.

Better still, get an external SSD and a large external HD for backup and archive.

All drives need some free space to perform adequately; especially the system drive.

FCPX not importing media or import is black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.