Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"macOS needs to repair your library to run applications"

My wife's computer (a recent Mac Mini, still running Mojave) has gotten into an impossible state. When she (or anyone else) logs in, a dialog box appears with the above text, and "Enter your password to allow this". When you enter the user's password, and click "repair", it just puts up the dialog box again. Forever. And you can't do anything else. I have looked at other instances of this problem (mostly on High Sierra systems), but the suggested remedies don't work. In particular, the Apple-suggested remedy of opening Get Info on the home directory, unlocking Sharing & Permissions and then clicking "Apply to enclosed items", letting that run, and then restarting does no good (I've tried it three times with the same non-result). Apple then suggests that if this fails, reinstall macOS. Problem is, she's allowed so much stuff to accumulate on the machine that there's no disk space left, so "reinstall macOS" can't go through.

Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 2:54 PM

Hello, Yale Linguist.

Sorry to know that you're having this issue with your wife's Mac. I think we can help.

First and foremost back up your wife's documents, files, photos and music – all her stuff. Time Machine is the best recommendation for that, but you can also use apps like CarbonCopyCloner or Super Duper!

Back up your Mac w Time Machine - Apple Support

Since she has accumulate so much stuff you will want to offload as much of her "stuff" as you can to an external drive to free up the space that macOS requires to do its thing.

Then use Recovery mode to reinstall macOS Mojave, erasing the drive in the process.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2020 2:54 PM in response to Yale Linguist

Hello, Yale Linguist.

Sorry to know that you're having this issue with your wife's Mac. I think we can help.

First and foremost back up your wife's documents, files, photos and music – all her stuff. Time Machine is the best recommendation for that, but you can also use apps like CarbonCopyCloner or Super Duper!

Back up your Mac w Time Machine - Apple Support

Since she has accumulate so much stuff you will want to offload as much of her "stuff" as you can to an external drive to free up the space that macOS requires to do its thing.

Then use Recovery mode to reinstall macOS Mojave, erasing the drive in the process.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Feb 15, 2020 3:27 PM in response to Yale Linguist

Yale Linguist wrote:

My wife's computer (a recent Mac Mini, still running Mojave) has gotten into an impossible state. When she (or anyone else) logs in, a dialog box appears with the above text, and "Enter your password to allow this". When you enter the user's password, and click "repair", it just puts up the dialog box again. Forever. And you can't do anything else. I have looked at other instances of this problem (mostly on High Sierra systems), but the suggested remedies don't work. In particular, the Apple-suggested remedy of opening Get Info on the home directory, unlocking Sharing & Permissions and then clicking "Apply to enclosed items", letting that run, and then restarting does no good (I've tried it three times with the same non-result). Apple then suggests that if this fails, reinstall macOS. Problem is, she's allowed so much stuff to accumulate on the machine that there's no disk space left, so "reinstall macOS" can't go through.

Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

What Library is this in reference to (?)

Is this the exact message box ...

If this is your user Library (~/Library) then from your statement above:

"When she (or anyone else) logs in,"

this means every users ~/Library needs repair??? This is hard to understand.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/341524/macos-needs-to-repair-your-library-error-loop-on-mojave-upgrade

I would try a safeboot— to see if you can log in from that environment to do some house cleaning.

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test.

Feb 15, 2020 3:18 PM in response to Yale Linguist

I understand your point about preserving the unstable state of the Mac.

Please tell me what model year mini is that? And what version macOS?

I recommend you take a quick trip to OfficeMax or Staples and pick up an inexpensive external drive that you can use to offload a good chunk of her stuff by directly dragging, then delete the file from the Macs drive and thus free up that space..

I would not start copying stuff to the TM drive. That would imperil the backups there.

Meanwhile, you might try to download and run Malwarebytes to see if it recognizes any sort of malware on the machine. It's a small app, safe and free - you don't need the paid version for this.

Also, please consider as a troubleshooting measure downloading EtreCheck from the Mac App Store. Again, another free and safe utility. It gets a lot of use in the Community. EtreCheck gathers important debugging information about your Macintosh and presents it in a report that you can include in your reply here. It is very highly regarded and meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help others help you troubleshoot and resolve your Mac problems.

Please navigate to the Mac App Store OR to EtreCheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you’ve installed the app and created the report please post it with your reply to this message. 

For instructions on how to attach your EtreCheck report to your reply, please click  How to use Add Text when posting…

We can then use the EtreCheck report to look for the more obvious things that may be causing your problem and advise how to correct them.

Feb 15, 2020 3:01 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thanks for your reply. She has a Time Machine backup, but it's from a couple of weeks ago: for some reason, no backups have been performed recently, and there's stuff she doesn't want to lose. There's also the problem that if we back up the machine as it is now, we will simply preserve the pathological state it's gotten into. In addition, it's hard to do anything, since whatever you do just brings up the "need to repair..." dialog box, and typically a spinning beachball.

I'm hoping for some way to identify whether the problem at hand is really this business of incorrect permissions on her Home directory, and if so, ways to fix it other than what I've already tried.

Perhaps there will be a way to offload some things -- the external drive that TM backups are on still has space, I think, if I can get the system to respond so we can move and delete.

Feb 15, 2020 5:13 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Mac = Mac Mini 2018 (Macmini8.1)

MacOS = 10.14.6 (Mojave)

We have a couple of thumb drives that we can probably use to save stuff to.

Not possible to add new apps, because (a) no space on HD and (b) impossible to run anything, since whatever you do all you get is the ".. needs to repair your library to run applications ..." dialog.

But I'll see what I can do soon. Thanks.

Feb 17, 2020 10:58 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Suggesting I download one or another utility is not helpful. I cannot get the machine do anything: it just shows this "need to repair" dialog and doesn't accept the password. Spins the beachball. Cannot move anything (e.g. to the Trash to free up some disk space, or to a thumb drive to save it). And I can't re-install the OS, because there isn't enough disk space.

Tried booting in safe mode, which it did (taking time for all the checks associated with that). But no change: still when a user logs in all they get is the "need to to repair" dialog. This is all amazingly frustrating.

Feb 17, 2020 7:05 PM in response to Yale Linguist

I finally got this sorted out. What I did was use Terminal to remove some dead stuff and copy out the files that needed to be preserved to a thumb drive (fortunately, cd, rm, mkdir, cp -r and friends all work in Terminal. Actually, it's scary how much you do there if you know a few UN*X commands...). Then I restored the machine from the old Time Machine backup, and replaced the preserved files from the thumb drive. Now everything is more or less back to normal.

I still have no idea what got the machine into this strange state where no user could do anything at all. But my wife is happy enough to have her machine back.

Feb 18, 2020 7:43 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Things seem to be OK now. What concerns me is that I did the cleanup (moving stuff that had to be saved, removing some cruft, etc.) in Terminal from the Utilities menu in Restore mode. With no passwords or other security. Which means that anyone with physical access to a machine can start up that way, with Command-R, and then do just about anything at all in the file system. Useful, when you have to do it yourself; not so much, if your machine is physically available to people who might have bad intentions.

"macOS needs to repair your library to run applications"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.