Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Time Capsule/AirPort Express MAC Address

How do I find the MAC Address of my AirPort Time Capsule and AirPort Express. I changed ISPs, which provided me with a modem that includes WiFi. I would like to link the new modem to either AirPort item to boost the WiFi signal at the back of my house. The new modem wants the MAC address of the router I want to use as the signal booster. I cannot find a MAC address anywhere for either AirPort device.

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 4:41 PM

Thank you, Bob. My WiFi network is happy once again (and so is my wife). 😉 If you email your address to me, I’ll send you a box of Omaha Steaks as a thank you. My email address is trivilino.design@gmail.com

11 replies

Feb 15, 2020 5:18 PM in response to petrivilino

The new modem wants the MAC address of the router I want to use as the signal booster.

What is the make and model number of the modem?

This is called WDS normally and will NOT work with Airport routers.

Airports must either plug directly to your modem router by ethernet or extend from another airport.. nothing else will work.

You could for example plug the TC into the modem by ethernet and set it in bridge mode.. and then extend using the Express.. but you cannot do it via the modem.

To find info like MAC address just to complete the answer.

How do I find the MAC Address of my AirPort Time Capsule and AirPort Express.

In airport utility hold down the option key and double click the icon of the airport. You will get this page. The summary includes the MAC addresses.

This full summary is missing if you do the normal single click of the Airport Icon.

And then click edit on what I will call the half summary page.

Feb 15, 2020 9:35 PM in response to petrivilino

No, unfortunately. We'll have to assume that the TC is set up correctly.

I will assume that you want the Express to connect to the TC using a wireless connection.

Temporarily, power off the Express and move it close to the TC

Power up the Express again and let it run for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Express for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

On your iPhone........

Go to the Home Screen

Tap on Settings

Tap on WiFi

Look for a listing of SET UP NEW AIRPORT BASE STATION

Tap on AirPort Express under that listing

When you tap on AirPort Express, that will start up the setup helper, also known as the "wizard". The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network and then display the correct setup for the Express.

You can use the suggested name for the Express if you want, or edit it to your liking.

Follow the prompts and the wizard will set up the Express for you correctly. You may be asked to enter the TC base station password during the setup process.

When you see the message of Setup Complete, tap Done and you are done. Now move the Express to the desired location.

Very Important.......the Express must be located so that is is significantly closer to the TC than it is to the ISP modem/router......so that it will pick up the stronger signal from the TC and extend the network correctly.

Feb 15, 2020 5:25 PM in response to petrivilino

You will be able to extend the signal from your new ISP modem/router.......IF......you locate the Time Capsule in an area where it can connect back to the ISP modem/router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection. A MAC Address is not needed for this type of setup.

Once you have the Time Capsule set up and working, the AirPort Express will be able to connect to the Time Capsule using only a Wi-Fi connection and provide more wireless signal coverage that way.

If you were thinking that the Time Capsule or AirPort Express could connect to the new ISP modem/router's Wi-Fi signal using only a wireless connection, this is unfortunately not going to work because Apple uses a proprietary system that is designed to only allow other Apple routers to connect to each other using only a WiFi connection.

Feb 15, 2020 8:22 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Ok, I have the Time Capsule connected directly to the modem using an Ethernet cable. The TC Wireless is set up to Extend a wireless network and Network is set to Off (Bridge Mode). How do I connect to the Airport Express. I can see it in Airport Utility, but it is grayed out with a yellow warning triangle. When I click on it, I see Device Not Found and my only option is to click on Forget. How do I access the Express to extend my WiFi network?

Feb 15, 2020 8:51 PM in response to petrivilino

The TC Wireless is set up to Extend a wireless network

This is not correct. The "extend a wireless network" setting would be used only if the TC were connecting to another Apple AirPort router using a wireless connection.....and its not in your case.

The TC is connecting to the ISP modem/router using a permanent Ethernet cable connection, so if you want the TC to provide additional extended wireless coverage for the ISP network, the TC must be configured to "Create a wireless network" that uses the exact same wireless network name and password that the ISP modem/router wireless is broadcasting. Bridge Mode.....Apple calls this "Off (Bridge Mode)"........ is the correct setting for the TC in this type of setup.

Another way to say the same thing........whenever an AirPort router is using an Ethernet connection to connect to an existing network, the AirPort device must always be configured to "create a wireless network". "Extend a wireless network" is never used when an AirPort device connects to a network using a wired Ethernet connection.

For now, power off the AirPort Express and leave it off until the TC is set up correctly. Then.....we will set up the AirPort Express.....which will be set up to extend a wireless network.......because it will be connecting to the TC wireless signal using a wireless connection, correct? Or, will the Express connect to the TC using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection?

Feb 15, 2020 9:04 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I changed the settings so that the TC is creating a network instead of extending a network. The network name and password match the Modem's network name and password.

I've unplugged the Express and plugged it back in hoping it would show up in Airport Utility, but the light on the Express just flashes yellow and it still isn't recognized. Now what?

By the way, thank you so much for your help. I would be totally lost without your help.

Feb 16, 2020 8:37 AM in response to petrivilino

Internet Options.......the setting for Configure IPv6 needs to be Link Local Only

Wireless Security........needs to be WPA2 Personal

The TC needs to be located at least 2-3 rooms away from your main router to reduce interference effects between two routers that are both producing a wireless network with the same name and password.

AirPort Time Capsule/AirPort Express MAC Address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.