Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport update problem with AirPlay ?

Does anyone know, if the latest firmware update released for airport base stations (7.8.1) is the problematic one that people were complaining about last year ?

I have not checked for several months, as my network has been stable, but there was a problem with broadcasting music via AirPlay on one of the last firmware updates, causing me to downgrade to my current firmware version (7.7.9).

I have not looked in a while, but being able to maintain music broadcasting throughout my house and garage via AirPlay enabled Airport Express units has been something I've come to rely on, so I don't know if there are reasonable alternatives out there. Thus, having Airplay still viable is important to me.

Most of my network is still running on Mojave, with fairly recent Airport Express and Extreme units comprising the network, though I have switched to an Orbi router system.

iMac 21.5", OS X 10.10

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 4:29 PM

latest firmware update released for airport base stations (7.8.1) is the problematic one that people were complaining about last year ?

Yes, it is problematic.. to say the least.

I think you are mixing up firmware though.

The express will use 7.6.9 as alternative older firmware.

The newer Extreme AC model will have 7.9.1 on latest firmware and 7.7.9 if you use older firmware.

AFAIK the issue is Express not the Extreme which of course is merely passing airplay packets through to some other device like Express. I doubt it will have any issues with 7.9.1.

I don't know if there are reasonable alternatives out there

Not easy to find.. airplay is built into lots of Amplifiers now which have network connections. Active speaker systems too. The express is great because you can use analogue out or optical and use it with much older amplifier.

The Express is pretty much unique.. and is head and shoulders better than attempts by D-Link and cheap Chinese knockoffs to replicate.

though I have switched to an Orbi router system.

Just stick to the earlier firmware. The only changes made in later firmware is security fixes.. which is irrelevant since the orbi is now the router. The Express introduced Airplay2 with 7.8.0 but it has been mostly panned by everyone. Stick to 7.6.9 and airplay1.

However Orbi being Netgear could be a problem.. if you have issues post back specifics and how the system is configured. Netgear have really left Apple compatibility as very low priority for lots of their routers and it can be a problem.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2020 4:29 PM in response to yebdox

latest firmware update released for airport base stations (7.8.1) is the problematic one that people were complaining about last year ?

Yes, it is problematic.. to say the least.

I think you are mixing up firmware though.

The express will use 7.6.9 as alternative older firmware.

The newer Extreme AC model will have 7.9.1 on latest firmware and 7.7.9 if you use older firmware.

AFAIK the issue is Express not the Extreme which of course is merely passing airplay packets through to some other device like Express. I doubt it will have any issues with 7.9.1.

I don't know if there are reasonable alternatives out there

Not easy to find.. airplay is built into lots of Amplifiers now which have network connections. Active speaker systems too. The express is great because you can use analogue out or optical and use it with much older amplifier.

The Express is pretty much unique.. and is head and shoulders better than attempts by D-Link and cheap Chinese knockoffs to replicate.

though I have switched to an Orbi router system.

Just stick to the earlier firmware. The only changes made in later firmware is security fixes.. which is irrelevant since the orbi is now the router. The Express introduced Airplay2 with 7.8.0 but it has been mostly panned by everyone. Stick to 7.6.9 and airplay1.

However Orbi being Netgear could be a problem.. if you have issues post back specifics and how the system is configured. Netgear have really left Apple compatibility as very low priority for lots of their routers and it can be a problem.

Feb 16, 2020 7:48 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the help. I did initially have problems with Orbi dropping out and disconnecting from the Internet on a regular basis, did some research at the time (last summer) and it was some type of security setting, I believe with the ad on security service that they sell. I don't recall exactly what fixed it, but I had to turn things off and get rid of the subscription and it's been stable since, with the exception of some range issues affecting speed.

I am probably mixing up my firmware versions, but Both my Extremes and Expresses at the appropriate earlier versions that avoid the Airplay issue. I just wondered if there'd been any progress on this since I looked into it last summer. Apparently not.

I agree, the Airport Express seems to still be the ticket, having done some research since I put this post up earlier today. I will bid on one or two additional used or new in the box Expresses on eBay just to ensure that I can continue to broadcast music throughout my house.

I also understand that HDMI capable receivers and amplifiers could conceivably utilize an Apple TV as a receiver and I've saved an old one that had fewer features for that purpose as well. I just wonder when someone will get smart and create something that works as well as the Airport modules did/do.

Feb 16, 2020 8:35 PM in response to yebdox

Apple would like you to buy an airpod but for the price you can buy several airport express.

I will bid on one or two additional used or new in the box Expresses on eBay just to ensure that I can continue to broadcast music throughout my house.

I have done the same.. I think the express is a toy router but an excellent airplay over wifi/ethernet dongle.

Also with a bit of suitable DIY you can keep them going for ages.. I have repair instructions for older models.. and once I get my hands on the newer A1392 with a dead power supply I will post those as well.

https://sites.google.com/site/lapastenague/airport-express-repair

Airport update problem with AirPlay ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.