Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

com.apple.mediaanalysisd?

My new MBP has been running the fans loud, slowing down hugely, and crashing. Among the potential causes brought to my attention by EtreCheckPro was "com.apple.mediaanalysisd," which was cited for very heavy CPU use.

My attention was directed to an old 2017 thread about this, way before Catalina.

I looked for and found /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist

but I could not do anything with it.

I put /Users/ruser/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist in the trash but did not empty the trash.

I rebooted. When I first looked in /Users/ruser/Library/Preferences/ the file com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist was missing. When I looked again later it was there again, with a date/time of today/8minutesago.

My computer does not run the fans loud, it's no longer slow, and it's not crashing.

Should I just empty the trash and be glad things seem to be better, all the while pretending I know what I'm doing, or should I do something else?

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 17, 2020 5:08 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 18, 2020 8:08 AM in response to autnagrag

autnagrag wrote:

I put /Users/ruser/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist in the trash but did not empty the trash.

I rebooted. When I first looked in /Users/ruser/Library/Preferences/ the file com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist was missing. When I looked again later it was there again, with a date/time of today/8minutesago.

My computer does not run the fans loud, it's no longer slow, and it's not crashing.

Should I just empty the trash

Yes you are safe to delete the trash and the plist.

Good computing autnagrag !

com.apple.mediaanalysisd?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.