Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New message in mail

Can I have a new message start with the "From" blank so that I have to enter one of my email providers rather than have one of them pre-selected? I want to have to enter the "from" each time to avoid accidentally using one of the addresses I have reserved for my Favorites.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 5:45 AM

5 replies

Feb 20, 2020 6:36 AM in response to Walt42

Walt42 wrote:

I almost have the abc@abc.com working as described but need a step by step instruction for how to set up the in/out servers.
I tried using the same info as in the icloud servers but think that may be keeping it from working as you describe.

Verify an email account's outgoing server in Mail on Mac ...

Use email aliases in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Reply to, forward, or redirect emails in Mail on Mac - Apple ...

Use Mail on your Mac - Apple Support

Feb 19, 2020 1:39 PM in response to Walt42

You can select which account to send from but not default the from field to nothing.

That said, you can default it to any specific account you chose. So you could set up abc@abc.com in Mail Accounts. It doesn't exist so you can't send messages with it, but you can then ask Mail to select that as the default outgoing account.

If you forget to change it when you try to send an eMail, the email just won't leave the Outgoing box. And if you do, you can select the correct account.

New message in mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.