Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

final cut pro cut out object

Hi All,

So, I'm pretty new to Final Cut Pro X, and I don't know, like, any technical names for things, so bear with me!

I was wondering if you can use Final Cut Pro to cut out an object? For example: say you are green-screening someone, and you put them against a background. Great - chroma key to remove green from the video. But, say that you want them to be walking along, and something on the background video is supposed to be on top of them - can you cut out that object, and move it above the layer that is the person?

I have no idea if that makes any sense, but that's my question! I can try to clarify if you cannot figure out what I am saying! ;)

Thank you very much!! :D

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 3:24 PM

It can be done, probably. It depends on the object. It’s basically animation, which is tedious. Plugins can help a lot. Check out SliceX and TrackX from CoreMelt.

The background is the bottom layer. The green screen is the middle layer. Another copy of the background goes on to. You can use draw mask to cut out the object you want in front. You invert the mask do it cuts out everything except the object. Then you have to animate it. Adding keyframes as it moves across the screen.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2020 3:24 PM in response to Sword_Master

It can be done, probably. It depends on the object. It’s basically animation, which is tedious. Plugins can help a lot. Check out SliceX and TrackX from CoreMelt.

The background is the bottom layer. The green screen is the middle layer. Another copy of the background goes on to. You can use draw mask to cut out the object you want in front. You invert the mask do it cuts out everything except the object. Then you have to animate it. Adding keyframes as it moves across the screen.

Feb 20, 2020 10:52 PM in response to Sword_Master

You can technically, chromakey out any color, not just green or blue. I do it all the time:

https://youtu.be/-H91k-mrhZs

I just keyed the Eiffel Tower, then inverted the mask (and: no keyframes). It's all basically the same color. I just did not use the Keyer to accomplish it (although I probably could have.) The Keyer in FCPX has a manual "mode" and it is, with a good deal of effort, capable of keying out colors not green or blue.

There are some plugins available that make the job ("worlds") easier than using the Keyer in FCPX, but you won't find out about them here. For 1) according to the rules, I can't tell you; and 2) nobody else knows or cares the plugins exist. If it ain't on FxFactory... it doesn't exist! [Man! I'm getting cranky in my old age.]

final cut pro cut out object

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.