Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS and SMC reset

I had posed my concern about the "slow deterioration of mouse movements soon after a re-boot". I have chatted with Apple and her suggestions were these:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

SMC was a breeze to perform and am still waiting for the mouse movements to start going south.

PRAM did not have any effect.

As for booting into Safe Mode...well, what would that accomplish if the problem lies with the mouse (both Apple and Kensington Expert Mouse) and maybe the updated software associated with them? After all, how can I determine if something (the mouse) is corrupt if it (the mouse) is disconnected?

Still too soon to tell, I am waiting to see if resetting SMC has had any effect. Knowing what I do know and have read about SMC and the resetting of, I can't see how doing this reset will help me out...but one never knows.

I have my Apple case number so I can go back to them should the need arise.

However, I am putting this, again, out to the Community. Suggestions?

Thanks,

alan

Posted on Feb 21, 2020 2:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2020 7:26 AM

Safe mode starts the computer without any third party or unnecessary apps/software. Doing so would possibly prevent any apps/software that may be affecting mouse performance from running.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

Mac OS and SMC reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.