Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confirming NVRAM Reset

I've been having problems with a sluggish, staggering mouse, I searched and found this thread on possible remedies:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8099425

I decided to start with resetting my NVRAM and followed this document:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

When it was complete I went to check my mouse, sound, and keyboard settings and they were all the same. So I made some specific mouse and keyboard changes and did it again , they were still the same (I do see the Apple logo appear twice before I release the keys).

Is there any setting I can make or check that will always return to a default after an NVRAM reset, so that I can confirm it was actually done?

(of course I'd want it to be something safe so that I don't have to rebuild my Mac :)

Thanks

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 12:38 PM

From terminal.app you can see the content of NVRAM

copy and paste:

nvram -xp

If in doubt about your NVRAM reset you can do this from Terminal as well, copy and paste:

sudo nvram -c

(Please note: your psswd will not echo, type it in anyway, to proceed use the enter/return key)

quit terminal.

6 replies

Apr 8, 2020 11:33 AM in response to A07570

Since the first thread I linked above is locked, I thought I'd just mention here that while resetting the NVRAM MAY have helped, what seems to have solved the problem for me is unplugging the USB3 hub from my Mac mini 2018. Even though it has the ability to 'turn off' all of it's ports, when it's attached to the USB-A3 port on my mini, the mouse stutters. Devices plugged into the USB-C ports don't seem to cause any problems. If need be maybe I'll look at USB-C attached Hubs, but for now I can get by without the extra ports.

Thanks though for the education on viewing the contents of the NVRAM, I am comfortable with the CLI.

Apr 29, 2020 2:10 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thought I'd finish off this thread with one more piece of info, as I mentioned above, removing the USB 3.0 hub from the Mac mini 2018 solved the staggering mouse problem. I thought though I'd try one more thing, I bought a USB 3.0 C to A cable and hooked the hub back up to the mini using one of the (4) USB-C ports -- previously it had been on one of the (2) USB-A. The mouse staggering has not returned.

Granted, this is not a definitive experiment, but it appears the USB-C ports on the mini are serviced more efficiently. Eventually I'll probably look for a USB-C connected hub with both C and A ports, but for now I have some extra A ports when I need them.

Confirming NVRAM Reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.