Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Xs IOS 13.3.1 airprint only prints 4x6

My iPhone recently started limiting ALL airprinting to only 4x6. The "paper size" option is grayed out so I no longer have the option to adjust this. I've tried printing email, pdf's, notes, pages...basically everything I could print on full pages (8.5 x 11) before this started happening but nothing works anymore and everything defaults to 4x6. I've turned off and on my xfinity router, turned the Canon airprinter off and on, did the same with my iPhone but nothing has corrected this. Was something changed in the last few IOS updates? This seems to be an often complained about problem in many on line sites. Any new ideas? Thanks!

iPhone XS, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 21, 2020 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2020 1:48 PM

thank you for taking the time to reply. I don’t believe the printer is the problem. The printer will print documents just fine from my desktop computer and it does so wirelessly. It’s only when I try to print documents from my iPhone that I’m limited to 4 x 6 size paper.

9 replies

Feb 22, 2020 2:55 PM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for the link. I’ve read this before but I decided to reconnect to my WLAN and reset the printer to my network. This did not solve the issue. Both my wife and I have been able to print to this printer for the years since we bought it. But just recently both our iPhones (both Xs) stopped allowing us to change the paper size to full size 8.5x11. We can only print 4x6.

Feb 27, 2020 7:18 PM in response to iW00

I thought I would let everyone know that my problem found a solution. And it’s very curious as to how it happened. I went to the local Apple store and talked to one of the staff. They were puzzled by the situation and suggested that I allow Apple technical support to contact me by phone this evening. I just got off the phone with their technical support. While I was on the phone after explaining my problem, waiting for them to find a solution, I decided to pull up a document and try printing so I could explain what exactly I tried, step-by-step. Lo and behold my iPhone allowed me the option of choosing “letter” size this time. Of course the option to choose “letter” was the missing option all along. I asked the technician on the phone if they had done anything that might’ve caused my phone to start working properly. They said ‘no’, they had not done anything. We were both puzzled but enjoyed a good laugh at how peculiar it was that the solution materialized. I had them wait on the phone while I went upstairs and had my wife check her phone as well. Believe it or not, her phone, too, was now working properly and allowed her to also choose “letter” size. We were all baffled. I’m glad my phone is communicating properly with my printer now, but a little annoyed that none of us know what caused the solution. I just wanted to pass that along. If anyone else has a similar problem maybe all they need to do is have Apple technical support called them. (I suspect the mere fact that they connected to my phone was enough to reestablish the proper defaults that may have been corrupted in my air print communicating.) Thanks again for the suggestions.

Feb 22, 2020 3:02 AM in response to SravanKrA

The issue is with your printer, not your iPhone. Your printer is set to print images now and you need to change it to print the documents. Do this changes using built-in screen panel or if your printer does not have one, then you might need to download app provided by your printer manufacturer. Refer to the printer manual for more info.

Feb 23, 2020 3:43 AM in response to jgoode488

From the link provided by SravanKrA:

For printers released after 2016, the paper size directly set on the printer (using the operation panel) is used.

I don’t believe the printer is the problem.

Although you haven't provided details of what is the model of your printer, but this does not change the fact that instead of 'not believing', you could simply check if this actually isn't the issue with your printer. Your call…

The printer will print documents just fine from my desktop computer and it does so wirelessly.

To clarify, AirPrint and Wireless Printing are two different print services. When you print using desktop computer, very likely you are using Wireless Printing.

Feb 24, 2020 12:33 AM in response to jgoode488

jgoode488 wrote:

Apologies for not including the printer info. The printer is a Canon PIXMA MG7520. It’s currently set up to print 4 x 6 in tray number one and letter size in tray number two. There are no options to change the tray order.

Like I said. The issue is with you printer settings that needs to be adjusted. If you do not know how, consult with the printer manual or get in touch with the manufacturer tech support.

iPhone Xs IOS 13.3.1 airprint only prints 4x6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.