Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought an iPhone off of a coworker but I'm unable to erase the contents of the phone

Hello - I submitted a support case, and was told that I'd hear back from someone on how to resolve my issue. I haven't heard from anyone yet. Could someone please call me to help me with my issue? I bought an iPhone off of a coworker (the phone was her niece's). I'm unable to erase the contents of the phone, though, because the niece will not give her Apple ID to complete that process.

The lady who I purchased the phone from said that she spoke with Apple and they said that if I submitted the original receipt that someone would call me back and help me to reset the phone to factory settings without the niece's Apple ID, and help me to switch my iPhone 6 content to this new device.

Thank you!

~ Sarah

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 26, 2020 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2020 6:41 AM

A: We are not Apple.

B: Apple will NOT help you. Apple will only remove the activation lock for the original purchaser of the device.

The owner of the account is the only one who can remove the activation lock. She does not need to give you her credentials to do so.

She needs to follow the directions in this document: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

Under the heading "If you no longer have your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch."

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2020 6:41 AM in response to sblumey7

A: We are not Apple.

B: Apple will NOT help you. Apple will only remove the activation lock for the original purchaser of the device.

The owner of the account is the only one who can remove the activation lock. She does not need to give you her credentials to do so.

She needs to follow the directions in this document: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

Under the heading "If you no longer have your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch."

I bought an iPhone off of a coworker but I'm unable to erase the contents of the phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.