You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X freezes after use of emojis in any app, especially Whatsapp/instagram

Hy,

I am posting this question on behalf of my friend.

His iPhone X freezes frequently when he uses an emoji in any chatting platform. I tried all the tricks in the book to fix it for him:

• restart/check software update - updated to the latest iOS
  • backup/reset/restore
  • disabling all the prediction/autocorrect... options in the keyboard
  • uninstall/re-install emoji keyboard
  • uninstall/re-install the designated apps

I've tried all the options available online, and it seems that the problem persists no matter what i did. What usually happens is:

• he types the emoji
  • he hits send
  • the iPhone freezes for 1-2 minutes. Completely stops responding ( No lock, no app switching...nothing)
  • After the freezing time, the iPhone un-freezes and simulate all the tapped interfaces while it was freezing( i.e. If while it was frozen, we click on the lock button, after un-freeing the iphone locks.)

Can you please advise?

iPhone X

Posted on Mar 5, 2020 5:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 11:55 AM

I RESOLVED the problem. I guess you all will resolve in this way.

You have to go to Settings -> Reset -> Reset Keyboard Dictionary.

Tell me if it’s useful for someone.

Apple should fix the bug... I found this solution after 1 year... 1 year using iPhone with this crashes... I’m very disappointed....

58 replies

Mar 5, 2020 5:40 PM in response to Elias Rahme

Hello Elias Rahme,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand your friend's iPhone X tends to freeze when attempting to use an emoji in multiple apps. I'll be happy to help.

Just to be sure, does this behavior occur in the Messages app, Notes and the pre-installed iOS apps or only in third party apps? If it only occurs in third party apps, I recommend following the steps outlined here: If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

Now if this is not the case and it happens in any app, I recommend reviewing the battery health section of the iPhone. The battery health can help determine, if the battery is not providing "Peak Performance Capability." This can impact the overall performance on an iPhone: iPhone Battery and Performance To verify that, you can go to Settings > Battery > Battery Health.

Kind regards.

Mar 6, 2020 12:11 PM in response to Elias Rahme

Elias Rahme,

Thanks for getting back to us and for providing us those details.

You mentioned restoring the device. Did you restore the iPhone to factory settings and set up the device as new, without the backup of the data installed? This can help isolate this behavior further. If needed, here's how to restore the device to factory settings: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings Specifically, you'll want to follow the section that says, "Restore your device to factory settings." Then, set up the iPhone as new, without an iOS backup: Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Prior to performing these steps, please be sure to create a recent backup of the data: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Take care.

Mar 8, 2020 9:55 AM in response to Leanne_68

I am experiencing EXACTLY the same problem to a T. I have restored my phone to factory settings but like Elias Rahme states, it is simply not a viable solution to not restore from back up.

I would also be interested in a solution. This has happened since the weekend and i have tried re-setting the network settings to no avail and restoring.

Thanks,

Hattie

Mar 10, 2020 3:07 PM in response to hattie2301

I agree with everyone like most procedures arent even fixing the issue, its more just wasting our time cuz the issue is still happening we need a true fix and ive contacted apple so many times and they tell they are researching the issue and i wait like 2 hours and whoever was helping me just left outta nowhere like we really need a real fix cuz this is getting out of hand.

Mar 12, 2020 10:51 AM in response to Elias Rahme

UPDATE : today i went into an apple franchise store and explained what was happening / read the original message from Elias! They said that it is really odd and they have not had it reported. They suggest re-setting the phone and setting up as a new iphone but icloud will restore all contacts and photos after that.

They seem to think it is the update having corrupted some files already on my phone and so by re-setting it and restoring from itunes im just reloading the corrupt data...

Worth a try?

:)

Apr 5, 2020 12:22 AM in response to CarlAVII

I have the same problem since last year on iPhone X!!!!! Apple has no solution! I already reported the problem!!! I did fabric reset but the problem persists.

I have friends with the same problem!!! It can’t be a corrupted file. It’s a bug involving a great number of devices!!!

Apple must do something or I will not buy iPhone no more (after years of Apple’s devices). Thx

Apr 18, 2020 1:56 AM in response to terence215

This has been happening to me from 2 weeks after I got the phone in first release. No one at Apple knows how to solve it, I have been around and around for over 18months for someone to figure this out and no one knows how to solve it! We need more people to make noise so it can actually be looked at as a software/phone fault!!

Apr 18, 2020 4:25 AM in response to Elias Rahme

i’ve literally been experiencing the same thing and i thought it was just me ... first it started with my iphone 8 and i thought it was the phone itself , and i switched to my iphone xs max and it’s still doing the same thing when i switch between the keyboard and emojis

tried to talk to apple representative and all he told me was to restore my phone but i don’t want to do that, it’s time consuming . they should just remove this update until it is fixed because ever since i updates my phone this problem still exists .

Apr 29, 2020 4:51 AM in response to Castore88

Same problem I took my iPhone 8 back to apple with this problem

they gave me a new iPhone 8 but still does it

I found the only way to stop it is delete the emoji keyboard and not use it

which *** cause I love using the emojis

def a major problem with this app and the iPhone but nothing seems to be done about it and I’m pretty sure they won’t give me another new iPhone

apple must know there’s a problem

May 11, 2020 4:14 AM in response to Elias Rahme

It's re-assuring to know i'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

I had it on an iPhone 8 Plus - after trying every solution that Apple Support suggested, the issue still persisted to happen.

As a last-ditch attempt to fix this issue, i purchased a new phone in February hoping that it was hardware-specific. Unfortunately, as soon as i loaded up my profile / backup the issue happened again. This confirms that this bug is profile-specific and nothing to do with the phone hardware or iOS itself.

Even more frustratingly, i can't return this phone due to current events.

I am really hoping that the Reset Keyboard Dictionary (thanks Castore88) fixes this problem - we will see.

It's very worrying that after 10+ sessions with Apple support, they didn't recommend this step once nor is it a identified issue. It's nice to see this finally getting traction after existing for over a year.

iPhone X freezes after use of emojis in any app, especially Whatsapp/instagram

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.