You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling - The recovery server could not be contacted

Hello! Please advise.

While reinstalling my mac and erasing my disk as well, I received this message - The recovery server could not be contacted. I tried to insert a date and time but it did not work out to move forwards. I restarted and accessed to reinstall mac which did offer the possibility to install Liion that is older version that I had but the problem is that it does not show my hard disk where to install it. There is no place offered actually where to install it. I would appreciate any guidance that would help. Thanks, Zuzana

While reinstalling my mac laptop I also got the message The recovery server could not be contacted" .

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 10, 2020 6:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2020 2:55 PM

Thank you. I tried this already before but it did not work. I managed to erase the data from my HD but could not proceed with the installation of any macOS. The message I received is - The recovery server could not be contacted. This did not offer any further explanation nor solution. So I restarted and did go back to the recovery mode while pressing command and R and tried the reinstall option again. This time, I got the possibility of getting the older macOS version (mac OS X Lion) but there is no option to select any disk where to instal it. The window is completely empty. The disk 01 and 02 are there in the restore section which requires verification but it also speaks about further erasing. Is that something you would advise? What's the best way to resolve this? Thank you,

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 10, 2020 2:55 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you. I tried this already before but it did not work. I managed to erase the data from my HD but could not proceed with the installation of any macOS. The message I received is - The recovery server could not be contacted. This did not offer any further explanation nor solution. So I restarted and did go back to the recovery mode while pressing command and R and tried the reinstall option again. This time, I got the possibility of getting the older macOS version (mac OS X Lion) but there is no option to select any disk where to instal it. The window is completely empty. The disk 01 and 02 are there in the restore section which requires verification but it also speaks about further erasing. Is that something you would advise? What's the best way to resolve this? Thank you,

Mar 10, 2020 12:47 PM in response to zuzana132

Hello, tough to tell wahat you tried...

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904#notupdated

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

2. Decide whether to erase (format) your disk

If you need to erase your disk before installing macOS, select Disk Utility from the Utilities window, then click Continue. You probably don't need to erase, unless you're selling or giving away your Mac or have an issue that requires you to erase. Learn more about when and how to erase.

3. Install macOS

After starting up from macOS Recovery, follow these steps to install macOS:

1. Choose Reinstall macOS (or Reinstall OS X) from the Utilities window.
  2. Click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions to choose your disk and begin installation.
  3. If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac. If it doesn't see your disk, or it says that it can't install on your computer or volume, you might need to erase your disk

1. Please allow installation to complete without putting your Mac to sleep or closing its lid. During installation, your Mac might restart and show a progress bar several times, and the screen might be empty for minutes at a time.

If your Mac restarts to a setup assistant, but you're selling or giving it away, press Command-Q to quit the assistant without completing setup. Then click Shut Down. When the new owner starts up the Mac, they can use their own information to complete setup.

If you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4

If macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later was never installed on your Mac, macOS Recovery works differently:

• Command-R is still the recommended way to start up from macOS Recovery. This combination makes sure that the installation isn't associated with your Apple ID, which is important if you're selling or giving away your Mac.
  • Option-Command-R installs the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.
  • Shift-Option-Command-R isn't available.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904 

Mar 10, 2020 8:30 PM in response to zuzana132

You may need to erase the whole physical drive when reinstalling an older version of macOS. See the partitioning section of the following Apple article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496#scheme

If booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R does not allow you to access a more current macOS, then use another Mac to create a bootable macOS USB drive:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Reinstalling - The recovery server could not be contacted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.