Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery iPhone 5s

often very quick battery discharged. 98% then used for a few minutes with 2 text, then a 10 minute phone call reduced battery to 77%. 5 minutes later i wanted to take a photo & battler was at 67% & within seconds shut down completely. Started to charge iPhone on car charged and immediately showed 68% charged.

This happens all too often so I reduced App's using data. Apart from this issue with the battery the iPhone is in good working order. I understand that Apple have updated the software to preserve battery life in older iPhones, but by iPhone battery often drops from above 60% down to 20% or lower even though it's not been used or have App's running.

This also happened with my iPhone 4s, so bought a new 5s and now it's the same issue with battery power.

I'm retired and now can't afford £500 for a new iPhone so unless this issue is rectified I will look at other cheaper smartphones and that will be a shame as I like Apple and have an 4k iMAC and iPad (2019).

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 12, 2020 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2020 11:33 AM

Given how old the phone is, it probably needs a new battery.

Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of your nearest Apple Store. It's far less expensive to get the battery replaced than it is to buy a different phone.

Rechargeable batteries are consumables. They do not last forever, no matter who made the device.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2020 11:33 AM in response to frr3man

Given how old the phone is, it probably needs a new battery.

Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of your nearest Apple Store. It's far less expensive to get the battery replaced than it is to buy a different phone.

Rechargeable batteries are consumables. They do not last forever, no matter who made the device.

Mar 25, 2020 6:27 AM in response to KiltedTim

Appears I got sucked in to the negative information about Apple slowing down old iPhone by updating software. I have my iPhone back with a new battery and although it’s just a few days I have had it, it appears to be working well, in fact only used 49% of battery in 36 hours where as before it would drain in minutes.

Thank You Apple.

Battery iPhone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.