Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluetooth headphones not connecting to macbook pro

MacBook Pro

Catalina 10.15.3

iPhone 7+

I just bought these https://www.amazon.com/Cancelling-Headphones-Utaxo-Bluetooth-Cellphone/dp/B07QL578VM and they connect to my iphone with no problems. But nothing allows them to connect to my MBP.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 13, 2020 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 6:47 AM

I have been having the same issue for a while. In my case, my headphones showed up in the Bluetooth tab but I couldn't get them to connect to my MacBook. I finally realized that my headphones were connected to my phone (sitting right next to my MacBook), and they can't connect to two things. So I turned off the bluetooth on my phone and my headphones connected to MacBook immediately. Hope that helps.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2020 6:47 AM in response to creativepixel

I have been having the same issue for a while. In my case, my headphones showed up in the Bluetooth tab but I couldn't get them to connect to my MacBook. I finally realized that my headphones were connected to my phone (sitting right next to my MacBook), and they can't connect to two things. So I turned off the bluetooth on my phone and my headphones connected to MacBook immediately. Hope that helps.

Mar 13, 2020 8:50 AM in response to creativepixel

Maybe. They should show up as Bluetooth devices on your MacBook Pro, but they must be paired with them first, and of course they must be charged up (if they have built in batteries) . I don't know if you have have a bluetooth device paired with more than one thing at a time. I suspect, in the case of headphones, probably not. So, you'd have to un-pair (or remove them) from the bluetooth menu of your iPhone first), and then pair them with the MacBook Pro, using the Bluetooth menu. So go to your Bluetooth menu (looks like a Capital B, sort of, and it's right next to the wifi icon on the top of your screen). I tried getting a user manual from the Utaxo website, but it doesn't look like it's working.... not really much in the way of basic support, eg, this is how you set 'em up..... in the Bluetooth menu on your MacBook Pro, you should make sure that Bluetooth is turned on and that your MacBook Pro is discoverable. Kinda silly, I know, but it's basic and has to be said....once....

so< I found this>

make sure the headphones and your bluetooth device are near one another (within about 3 feet/1 meter)

press and hold the power button for 5 seconds until the LED flashes blue and red. Utaxo should come up in the bluetooth menu. click on the name to connect

to clear the pairing cache, hold the power button down for about 5 seconds and listen in the headphones for "Pairing"

and apparently it'll say the words "power" and "Pairing" while it's doing so and you're turning it on, then it should be automatic from then on...

if that doesn't work, try doing a reset smc/pmu and zap pram on your macbook Pro and try again, after you have turned off the headphones, restarted your MacBook Pro and then turned 'em on and re-paired them......

You may also get interference from other paired bluetooth devices

good luck

John B

Mar 13, 2020 9:25 AM in response to creativepixel

I was looking into bluetooth headphones, and one overriding issue was "do they talk to computers like they do phones?". Yours may not talk to computers easily, and as previously mentioned BT is a very busy frequency range so interference could cause it to fail. Online blogs (real experience, hope you can trust it) can tell you which BT headphones have reliably paired with computers as easily as phones.

bluetooth headphones not connecting to macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.