Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrade from Sierra 10.12.6 (16G2136) to High Sierra could not complete

Hello,

I have a macbook pro 13-inch, early 2011 and I am trying to upgrade my Sierra 10.12.6 (16G2136) to High Sierra but the upgrade could not complete because it says "file system verify or repair failed". I tried restarting several times but nothing worked and I could not just cancel the upgrade and return to the old OS because everytime I restart, the upgrade window appears. After some time I had to restore from Time Machine backup to be able to use my macbook again with the old Sierra OS.

I wonder if it is worth upgrading to High Sierra. I have a few movies on itunes that after upgrading from mountain lion to sierra I was not able to open them anymore.

I hope someone could help, thank you!

Posted on Mar 15, 2020 10:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2020 12:53 PM

Hello rezebeth and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you are having some issues updating to High Sierra.

You have already taken the most important step which is having a current Time Machine backup, so kudos on that. The error you are seeing indicates some kind of issue with the drive. This may be hardware (i.e., a drive that is on its way to failing) or it may be a corruption of the file system that can be fixed via software.

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Start by booting the Mac into Recovery Mode. Then, use the First Aid tool in Disk Utility to try to repair the disk. You may need to run the First Aid process more than once.

When First Aid runs and reports no issues, reboot normally and try the High Sierra installation again.

Cheers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2020 12:53 PM in response to rezebeth

Hello rezebeth and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you are having some issues updating to High Sierra.

You have already taken the most important step which is having a current Time Machine backup, so kudos on that. The error you are seeing indicates some kind of issue with the drive. This may be hardware (i.e., a drive that is on its way to failing) or it may be a corruption of the file system that can be fixed via software.

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Start by booting the Mac into Recovery Mode. Then, use the First Aid tool in Disk Utility to try to repair the disk. You may need to run the First Aid process more than once.

When First Aid runs and reports no issues, reboot normally and try the High Sierra installation again.

Cheers.

upgrade from Sierra 10.12.6 (16G2136) to High Sierra could not complete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.