Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files App: Couldn't Communicate with a helper application

I backed up my camera memory cards to my iPad Pro in the Files app. I am trying to move them to my Onedrive account so they are uploaded to the cloud. Every time I try I get an error message "The Operation Can't Be Completed - Couldn't communicate with a helper application". This error also occurs when I try and move them to my Creative Cloud and Google Drive. The only cloud service the works is iCloud. But I don't want to use iCloud because it lacks the customization others offer. Like selecting which folders sync to certain devices. I want these files to only sync to my work computer not my personal. Both have separate AppleID's which sharing across AppleID's is not supported. Any ideas how to get around this error?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi, Cell

Posted on Mar 16, 2020 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2020 12:06 PM

The helper App is the Cloud-service-specific App that allows your iOS/iPadOS to access the cloud service. The must be installed on your device for each Cloud service (e.g., Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive etc.) - and the App must be opened at least once to login to the respective service with necessary credentials.

Failure to open and login via the respective App is the usual cause of “helper” errors.

Similar questions

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2020 12:06 PM in response to Karch14

The helper App is the Cloud-service-specific App that allows your iOS/iPadOS to access the cloud service. The must be installed on your device for each Cloud service (e.g., Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive etc.) - and the App must be opened at least once to login to the respective service with necessary credentials.

Failure to open and login via the respective App is the usual cause of “helper” errors.

Sep 28, 2020 2:41 AM in response to stefeny330

Hi,

I had the same problem with files on my iPad which I could access on Google drive and had a red flag.

After trying different solutions I found roughly what the problem is. It seems that the original move in the files app is stuck.

Workaround that worked for me. Go to files app location with red flag, open another file that doesn’t have red flag, then open the red flag file , it won’t display correctly, but then go to upper right corner and share with Google drive. You will then be asked for your Google drive account and then upload. If you open Google drive app, you can see it in recent and move it to where you want.

Hope this helps.

Jun 16, 2020 6:08 AM in response to mandylou16

it is actually really simple! it happens when you are not logged in the actual destination. so for example. i tried to save photos to google drive by pressing save to "files" and then selected drive, and then i get the error. well simply go to the drive first open it, make sure you are logged in and active ( it can be for any destination, cloud, outlook etc) and then leave that app without closing or logging out of that app. After that when you try to save files it will "remember" that you were logged in the destination app and it will be able to communicate with the destination

Nov 23, 2020 12:10 PM in response to Calvin_BT

My advice and idea after many years of owning even at the present time up to 16 Apple products, I have turned off my updates on my iPhone 7 and my iPad pad pro and my Mac pro because Catalina really did a number on me

Thankfully I had everything backed up so I was able to fix my phone, my iPad, and my Mac Pro and then I shut off my updates!

Until Apple stops using us as guinea pigs to fix the glitches in their bells and whistle's programs I will just go online see what everybody else has to say about the update six months later and then make a decision if I'm going to even update.

My husband at work has a 2008 update which I believe makes it 12 years old?? The only reason that computer is still running is because we turned off updates long ago. Unfortunately Apple is going to lose its edge unless it stops sending us unnecessary update in the form of bells and whistle's that we do not need or want in most cases of course I speaking for myself.

How to get rid of Catalina I wiped my Mac clean reinstalled September 18 where it worked just perfectly and now I'm back in working order again. Even the new update on my iPhone erased some of my ringtones which I had bought

Mac Pro I bought a movie through Apple paid for it and now it has disappeared and even though I went to Apple it showed no purchase of a movie now how can that be? Crazy crazy crazy

May 2, 2020 11:26 PM in response to Karch14

I have this problem too. I think the files app struggles to transfer multiple folders at once because some of their embedded folders/files have long file paths. I thought upgrading from the 2017 iPad Pro to the 2020 model would give me a smoother experience in the files app, but nope.

Idk if it is a limitation of iPadOS/iOS to script such complex directions or of the cloud service’s app to read the instructions without getting overwhelmed.

Nov 13, 2020 3:11 AM in response to lutech1

Another one here.

Really simple use case (and this is only an issue because Apple won’t allow Safari to download direct to OneDrive (which is just shocking in itself)

1. I want to download videos from Vimeo, and keep them on OneDrive (I want to use OneDrive as my storage medium of choice for various reasons (including iCloud space being expensive relatively)
  2. I have to firstly use Safari on the iPad (no desktop available) to download the Vimeo video via Safari - which only allows downloads to iCloud, no other cloud services. (You can download locally but the iPad space won’t allow that)
  3. I then want to select 50 videos (but 10 would do) at a time and simply copy them across to OneDrive

This is with OneDrive in use on the iPad, open, restarted etc etc and every time I get this help application error - and I then have to check which ones made it and which ones didn’t.

Such a nightmare - I’m just an average guy with family videos that’s trying to do stuff, and Apple seem to be making it super hard

May 3, 2020 12:17 PM in response to Mr_Meeseeks

Oh, and what might work more reliably is to make a zip folder and upload that to the cloud service. Then unzip the folder using either app.

I discovered this solution today (*using OneDrive*, but probably still applicable). I’m uploading folders from the ‘On My iPad’ location. With the Files app open at the left half of screen & OneDrive at right, any folder I drag over is automatically zipped (whether it has subfolders or not).

Hope this helps!

Aug 7, 2020 11:36 AM in response to nikola59

This did not work for me either. I have tried re-starting all devices, un-installing and re-installing apps, and making sure I am logged in to my destination source when attempting the import but the error persists. The only method that actually works for getting photos from my iphone to my computer is by emailing small batches or to upload them through the Google Drive app. Both of these methods are rather time consuming and only work in small batches. I can't figure out why it is so difficult to transfer photos from an iphone! This should be a super basic function. I recently upgraded photos and am trying to transfer over 3,000 photos from my old device and am the point of giving up. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Aug 7, 2020 2:18 PM in response to stefeny330

Nikola, I’m having the same issue.. I don’t have a direct solution, but if it’s just photos your are trying to transfer then I recommend using Google Photos. Install it on your phone and let it upload your photos to the cloud automatically over Wi-Fi. It will host unlimited photos in high quality (up to 16 megapixels Or 1080p for videos). Then once it’s done you can access Google Photos from your computer via the website and download all your photos from there fairly effortlessly

Files App: Couldn't Communicate with a helper application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.