Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Space before paragraph in Pages for Mac

Space before paragraph doesn't seem to work. Space after paragraph works.

I am trying to put chapter titles half way down on a new page, as in most printed books.

(Pages 8.1 on macOS Sierra 10.13.6)

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 22, 2020 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 1:28 AM

Thanks Barry, it seems to work! Great!

In the meantime I have made a workaround by creating a style that I called "PageBreak". It consists of one blank character, 10 lines spacing and "start on a new page". I inserted it just before each Chapter paragraph. So for each new chapter I have a pair of paragraphs:

PageBreak

Chapter

But thats's history. Now I can do it "your" way.

Don't forget to ask you collegues to improve the dokumentation/guidelines.

Thanks again, Barry. Keep away from the virus and have a good day.

Regards from Magne Källström on the eastcoast of Sweden

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2020 1:28 AM in response to Barry

Thanks Barry, it seems to work! Great!

In the meantime I have made a workaround by creating a style that I called "PageBreak". It consists of one blank character, 10 lines spacing and "start on a new page". I inserted it just before each Chapter paragraph. So for each new chapter I have a pair of paragraphs:

PageBreak

Chapter

But thats's history. Now I can do it "your" way.

Don't forget to ask you collegues to improve the dokumentation/guidelines.

Thanks again, Barry. Keep away from the virus and have a good day.

Regards from Magne Källström on the eastcoast of Sweden

Mar 23, 2020 12:17 PM in response to magne64

Hello magne64,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having trouble with spacing before a paragraph. I'd be happy to share information that may help.

You may find the information here helpful: Set line and paragraph spacing in Pages on Mac.

If that particular article doesn't answer your question, check out the User Guide for Pages here: Pages User Guide.

Take care.

Mar 23, 2020 11:11 PM in response to CarlAVII

Hi, thanks for the reply.

You sent me a link to the appropriate page in the user's guide. (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/pages/tanb74d5cbe9/mac) I was already aware of all that.

The problem is that the when I specify that I want a paragraph (e.g. Chapter) should be proceeded by say, 30 points of space before the paragraph, nothing happens. It seems to me as a bug. What is written in the user's guide doesn't work. As I wrote in my question, my goal is that the chapter headings will appear not a the top of a new page, but a bit down the page. Open any novel and you will see that it is standard procedure.

When I try the " spaces after paragraph", everything works fine, as expected. There will be a between gap of say, 25 points between the heading and the text body below.

Mar 23, 2020 11:45 PM in response to magne64

Hi Magne,

I read this yesterday, but had no specific ideas at that time.

Tonight I tried this:

I've modified the Subtitle style to include a type size boost t 31 point type, and specified a 252 pt space before paragraph.

In use, I would either add a large (but not as large as 250 pt) space after the paragraph to put some room between the chapter title and the beginning of the text.

OR

would insert a Page break (two, if the book was destined for a print edition) to start the text on the next page (or the next Right page).

But the key to getting 'space before paragraph' to work seems to be inserting a paragraph break (return) before the title. (I have Show invisibles set, so you can see I've placed two spaces, then a return at the top of the page. It may be possible to omit the two spaces without losing the space before paragraph.

Regards,

Barry

Space before paragraph in Pages for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.