Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Content caching when using VPN

We have two iMacs. One of my iMacs accesses the internet through an external VPN. How do I include that computer in content caching for my home network — the public address is different while it's connected through the VPN.

What setup will work if I want both iMacs to cache for each other and for all the iOS devices in the home?

We have one AirPort Extreme and one public IP (except for when the iMac is on the VPN)

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 7:09 AM

As you noted, using VPN changes the Mac's public IP address. This guide explains how to configure Content Caching and internal DNS for multiple public IP addresses.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/enable-content-cache-discovery-multiple-mchld4ab5cdc

3 replies

Mar 25, 2020 4:33 PM in response to Rudegar

@Rudegar

Thanks for the explanation of VPN.

What I was asking was how to set up Content Caching on macOS X when one computer is on a VPN. And, if it was possible to adjust the settings in Content Caching setup, in the Sharing preferences, to accommodate an iMac that is occasionally on a VPN. I do see settings there for using different ranges of IP addresses and for sharing with local network and public IP addresses.

clients options:

peers options:

Thanks

Mar 25, 2020 2:04 AM in response to johnnyjackhammer

you don't really it's the whole nature of vpn

vpn makes a tunnel thou the internet and makes your computer appear on the local network in the other end

so it's not on the same network as the other computer, it's on the lan network of your company or whoever else provided you with a virtual private network server to connect to

you can read more about the point of vpn and how it works here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

Content caching when using VPN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.