Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use content caching from an iMac with ethernet PLUS wi-fi internet?

The help page for content caching says: "It’s strongly recommended that you set up content caching on a Mac that has a single wired Ethernet connection as its only connection to the network." My iMac has an ethernet connection, but is also on my home wifi network. If I remove it from that network, I can't then connect my devices to the iMac. Does that mean that content caching from my iMac will not work at its best, or am I misunderstanding something? 

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 5:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 7:17 PM

That passage is most applicable to large networks with multiple subnets. With many devices to serve, not only would they benefit most from Content Caching, unless that Mac had a wired Ethernet connection that burden would need to be shared by its entire wireless network.

So if you have many devices (perhaps a dozen or more) you really ought to designate one Mac with a wired Ethernet connection directly to a router.

My iMac has an ethernet connection, but is also on my home wifi network. If I remove it from that network, I can't then connect my devices to the iMac.

That's ok. I think you mean if you were to remove it from the network (or shut it down) it could not serve as a content caching parent, which is correct. For small networks that spend most of their time idle it won't make a difference, with one big caveat: it assumes your wireless environment isn't particularly overloaded. If yours is such that reliable wireless connectivity is a challenge, CC would exacerbate it.

Oh and one more thing: on that Mac, set Ethernet over Wi-Fi in its Network Service Order. That way, if a viable Ethernet connection exists the Mac will choose it. Leave Wi-Fi enabled for all the many additional services that require it.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2020 7:17 PM in response to Neville Goodman1

That passage is most applicable to large networks with multiple subnets. With many devices to serve, not only would they benefit most from Content Caching, unless that Mac had a wired Ethernet connection that burden would need to be shared by its entire wireless network.

So if you have many devices (perhaps a dozen or more) you really ought to designate one Mac with a wired Ethernet connection directly to a router.

My iMac has an ethernet connection, but is also on my home wifi network. If I remove it from that network, I can't then connect my devices to the iMac.

That's ok. I think you mean if you were to remove it from the network (or shut it down) it could not serve as a content caching parent, which is correct. For small networks that spend most of their time idle it won't make a difference, with one big caveat: it assumes your wireless environment isn't particularly overloaded. If yours is such that reliable wireless connectivity is a challenge, CC would exacerbate it.

Oh and one more thing: on that Mac, set Ethernet over Wi-Fi in its Network Service Order. That way, if a viable Ethernet connection exists the Mac will choose it. Leave Wi-Fi enabled for all the many additional services that require it.

Can I use content caching from an iMac with ethernet PLUS wi-fi internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.