Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail App: Organizing Mailnbox Subfolders

Hope anyone can point me in the right direction:

I have a few mailboxes in the MAIL app and created also numerous subfolders (or mailboxes) for my main mail account. I accidentally moved on folder into another folder, so that it is now a subfolder. I want to move the folder back to the main level to make is a main folder, but for some reason I can only rearrange this folder within the folder it is now. I cannot drag the folder out of this folder.

Any idea what I do wrong anyone? Appreciate any advice!

Screenshot:

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 6:00 AM

14 replies

Mar 26, 2020 4:09 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for your kind advice Barney, much appreciated.

I actually didn't want subfolders and I don't have any, but because I dragged it accidentally into one of the folders it just became a subfolder. I just want to reverse it. Maybe I can figure out some workaround, like create a new folder and then just move the emails. Then delete the subfolder. Maybe worth a try.

Mar 26, 2020 3:39 PM in response to Barney-15E

Great!

This solved my problem. I just moved the folder in the webmail account and then the Apple mail app updated the folder structure upon restart of the mail app.

Just out of curiosity; if the Apple mail app can display a three level folder structure that was created in the mail account provider's web application, why can't the folders be moved in mail as well. I don't think it is technically difficult to do, but maybe there are some limitations on the mail app set by the email account provider?

Thanks a lot to all of you for the support. I am happy with the solution.

Mail App: Organizing Mailnbox Subfolders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.