Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add my gmail account to my apple mail app. Authentication Failed!

I recently updated to OS Catalina 10.15.3 and ever since then my gmail kept going offline in the Apple Mail app. I deleted the google account and tried to add it again but when I try to add my gmail in the system preferences/Add account I enter my email and password using the pop up Safari window (V 13.0.5) but I get a message back saying "Authentication Failed". I have no problem logging in with the same information using web mail. Can anybody please help?

iMac Pro

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 12:58 PM

Are you using two-factor authentication with your Google user account? If so, you may need to create an app-specific password to use in the Mail app for your Gmail account.

Ref:

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2020 12:58 PM in response to schubeedoo

Are you using two-factor authentication with your Google user account? If so, you may need to create an app-specific password to use in the Mail app for your Gmail account.

Ref:

Can't add my gmail account to my apple mail app. Authentication Failed!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.