Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No video capture devices were found!

Suddenly my macbook didn't detect my build in camera, help please!

i was working and suddenly stop, no accidents and without any updates...

i only used an app related to Syphon to do connect my Gopro to macbook for a live video, but i don't know if this messed up my settings or nothing related to it...

I tried these, didn't work

• Reset NVRAM or PRAM
  • Reset SMC
  • macOSUpdCombo

i'm on Mojave 10.14.6

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) - Touch bar

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 4:26 PM

After A LOT of searching and tinkering with things I have finally fixed this issue on my MacBook. Turned out it wasn’t caused by Apple but kaspersky in my case, the privacy settings were completely blocking the camera, as soon as I unchecked the selection in Kaspersky the camera popped straight back on! 😤

65 replies

Mar 26, 2020 2:32 PM in response to RandaVictor

Hello RandaVictor,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

It is my understanding from your post that your Mac is not recognizing your camera. I recommend testing the issue while your Mac is in safe mode and/or in a new user account. This will help determine the cause of the issue. The following articles have the steps you will need to test the issue in both safe mode and in a new user account: 

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Apr 27, 2020 4:14 PM in response to albertmarti

1. Same problem here. I have a MacBook Pro mid 2012 with MacOS Catalina. Tried sudo killall VDCAssistant

in Terminal / created a new account / turned off screen time...still not working. This is not normal and apple should do something about it. They need to come up with a solution since it seams there is a bug somewhere. If for anybody worked something else, please post here. Thanks

Mar 11, 2021 6:18 AM in response to RandaVictor

"Suddenly my macbook didn't detect my build in camera, help please!

i was working and suddenly stop, no accidents and without any updates...

i only used an app related to Syphon to do connect my Gopro to macbook for a live video, but i don't know if this messed up my settings or nothing related to it...

I tried these, didn't work

• Reset NVRAM or PRAM
  • Reset SMC
  • macOSUpdCombo

i'm on Mojave 10.14.6

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) - Touch bar"

Quoting all you again I had the same problem with mine. :(

May 12, 2021 1:20 AM in response to RandaVictor

Reset NVRAM or PRAM

If your Mac’s core settings got corrupted, that may explain why your built-in camera became invisible.

1. First of all, shut down your Mac.
  2. Press the power button and while your machine is booting up, press and hold the Command + Option + P + R keys.
  3. Release the keys when you hear the second startup chime.
  4. Let your computer reboot normally and check if you can use your camera.

Sep 23, 2020 5:04 PM in response to RandaVictor

I am having the same issue. No green light. It started with face time but zoom was working. Now zoom isn't finding the camera either. I checked the system report and it says "No video capture devices were found" No trauma or damage to my computer (although plenty of trauma and damage to me if I cant use zoom or FT in 2020!)

running Catalina 10.15.6 2017 macbook pro.

Oct 4, 2020 11:06 AM in response to julie_sd

I am having the same issue since the beginning of 2020 in my MacBook Pro 2017 Touch Bar I have contacted apple service in February they diagnose the problem and after 3 weeks they said they must change the whole screen first they say its under quality assurance but then they change and say I must pay 850 USD for the whole screen I refused. I guess its a manufacturers defect !!! hope to find a solution so that 2020 we can't use MacBook without camera.

No video capture devices were found!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.